Satellite Broadband

Guybrush

Village Idiot
I am living in an area that is not Broadband or cable enabled and have been offered a package for satellite bradband.

Is satellite broadband worth it or should I hold out for hell to freeze over and my ISP somehow come into the twntieth century, or should I go gor it? I understand a bit about Satellite broadband.

What I really need to know are the disadvantages and most importantly the advantages?:)

I have satellite ISP and for the most part I like it. Depending on what you use it for depends on how much it effects you. If all you do is surf the net and download files, it works great. If you want to play online games (CS) or any real time programs like that, it doesn't work real well do to the delay with satellite transmission. Also the data being sent is encrypted so using things like a VPN may not work well, if at all. With my ISP upload speeds pretty much are equal to 56K so hosting a server (web or ftp) will not work well either.

Being able to download service packs from M$ as 700+ kb/s is nice. I have actually had downloads at 1M/s!!! :happy:

Sure beats the 21.4K connection I was getting with dial-up!

Go for it! The day I signed up I kicked myself in the ass that I didn't get it sooner. Sure it's not perfect and it's more expensive than dialup or cable or DSL here but I like it and it's my only option. :happy:

Originally posted by The_tazinator
I have satellite ISP and for the most part I like it. Depending on what you use it for depends on how much it effects you. If all you do is surf the net and download files, it works great. If you want to play online games (CS) or any real time programs like that, it doesn't work real well do to the delay with satellite transmission. Also the data being sent is encrypted so using things like a VPN may not work well, if at all. With my ISP upload speeds pretty much are equal to 56K so hosting a server (web or ftp) will not work well either.

Being able to download service packs from M$ as 700+ kb/s is nice. I have actually had downloads at 1M/s!!! :happy:

Sure beats the 21.4K connection I was getting with dial-up!

:D Many thanks. All I do at the moment is download and surf the net. There is no minimum subscription time so I think I will give it ago until I can get broadband.

PC Dude.

Many thanks also. No doubt I will kick myself in the preverbial rearend!!

I have a satellite internet, but I don't use it anymore... DirecPC is what it was called. Fast downloads but horrible gaming, thats why I switched to DSL instead. I still have that huge oval dish on my roof, trying to get rid of it if anyone is interested in buying it from me.... It's the one-way system btw and it connects with AOL.

Originally posted by Electronic Punk
Poor for gaming :(

Where I live gaming is out ... best ping on 56k around here is 300ms. So gaming is out, tried it 10-15 times but just too much lag. That's when I decided to get Sat Internet ..... I crave speed of some kind ;)

I guess now I gotta wait till Cable gets here before I can game online.

BTW: If you know what ports the game uses you can set it so it goes dial up only.

If you want advertising space then buy it. I know where that office is I will be around later with the ossn heavies to collect da monies. <--Seriously.

Lee said:
If you want advertising space then buy it. I know where that office is I will be around later with the ossn heavies to collect da monies. <--Seriously.
who the hell is ossn??

In U.K. ,Satellite speed restrictions are connecting to ISP /uploading ,@ normal dial up speed and then dowloading info /files @ broadband speed

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back