SATA + IDE hardrives.

B

blink18wu

Just wondering, I currently have 4 plain ol' ata100 ide hard drives on my Asus a7n8x dlx. Now i want to buy a SATA hard drive to become my new primary disk. My question is, am i goin to run into any trouble mixing Sata and regular ide disks? My plain would be to have my Sata drive as my system's disk. Then just have the rest of the computer stay the same. (Currently there is nothing on my Sata, i have it disabled to make boot times faster. All my Ide channels are taken, and i am also using a Controller card-promise. Will i run into tons of problems with mixed hard drives?

I have got the Gigabyte 8KNXP motherboard
3 x 120Gig SATA
1 x 120Gig IDE133
At first I had the IDE133 as the primary boot OS disk.
But then I've decided to change the primary with one of the SATA disk. I have't encountered any problem yet.
The performance of the SATA disk as primary boot disk, the SATA drive is much faster than the IDE133.
I have tested the drive by transferring large amount of data between SATA and the IDE and everythign went ok.
If you need to install the windows from scratch bare in mind that you need the OEM driver support diskette for the SATA
(you know when the setup screen starts, it says "press F6 for third party driver support" or something similar).

Ok, thanks for the info. I just hope when i buy my hard disk it comes with the driver disk. =) Altho i am tempted to buy OEM, ill probably get retail box. Clean install always.

no, you'll need the s-ata driver floppy that came with your mobo. or you can probably download a newer one off their site and put it on a floppy. or just use the original floppy and update the driver once you have xp loaded.

HDD does not come with drivers.
The drivers that you need are the one from Silicon Image, just read the manual that comes with your motherboard on the Silicon Image section before doing anything.
read this site Seagate SATA Mass storage driver installation
Or follow these instructions.
These are for intel SATA Drivers. But you need to follow the same steps as SILICON Image drivers.
When you start the installation of Windows* XP, you most likely will be
presented with a message stating, 'Setup could not determine the type of one or
more mass storage devices installed in your system'. If this occurs, the
instructions below document how to install the RAID driver. To install the Intel
Application Accelerator RAID Edition driver using the F6 installation method,
complete the following steps:

Note: After completing
these steps and the operating system has been successfully installed, you will
still need to install the Intel Application Accelerator RAID Edition by running
the typical Setup.exe process.

• Press F6 when prompted in the status line with the 'Press F6 if you need to
    install a third party SCSI or RAID driver' message at the beginning of Windows
    XP setup (during text-mode phase). Note: After pressing F6, setup will
    temporarily continue loading drivers and then you will be prompted with a screen
    to load support for mass storage device(s).

• Press F6 when prompted in the status line with the 'Press F6 if you need to
    install a third party SCSI or RAID driver' message at the beginning of Windows
    XP setup (during text-mode phase).

Note: After pressing
    F6, setup will temporarily continue loading drivers and then you will be
    prompted with a screen to load support for mass storage device(s).

• Press the 'S' key to 'Specify Additional Device'

• You will be prompted to 'Please insert the disk labeled
    Manufacturer-supplied hardware support disk into Drive A:' Once prompted, insert
    the floppy disk containing the following four files: IASTOR.INF, IASTOR.SYS,
    IASTOR.CAT, and TXTSETUP.OEM and press ENTER.

• After pressing ENTER, you should be presented with a list of available SCSI
    Adapters; it should list 'Intel® 82801ER Serial RAID Controller'. Select this
    entry and press ENTER.

• The next screen should confirm that you have selected the 'Intel® 82801ER
    Serial ATA RAID Controller'. Press ENTER again to continue.

• At this point, you have successfully F6'ed in the Intel Application
    Accelerator RAID Edition driver and Windows XP setup should continue. Leave the
    floppy disk in the floppy drive until the system reboots itself. Windows* setup
    will need to copy the files from the floppy again to the Windows installation
    folders. Once Windows setup has copied these four files again, you should then
    remove the floppy diskette so that Windows setup can reboot as needed.

• During Windows setup, create a partition and file system on the RAID 0
    volume as you would any physical disk, Notice that the size of the RAID 0 volume
    is the combined capacity of the two Serial ATA (SATA) disk drives if they are of
    the same capacity. If they differ in capacity, your RAID 0 volume will be twice
    the size of the smaller of the two SATA disk drives.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back