SATA Drivers Work Around

mtakridge

OSNN Newbie
OK. I have read all the stuff about having to have SATA drivers on floppy but is their any work around?

I built my system and got it up and running and then bought a 200 Gb SATA drive. It loaded great and I can see the hole 200 Gb as one partician. When I boot (ASUS motherboard) and hit F8 it will let me pick that drive to boot from and loads and runs great.

If I turn it off it reverts back to the old C drive (thank you god for not letting me reformat that one). I called ASUS and they say you have to have a floopy to load the drivers on and load to XP but I don't have a floppy.

Does anyone have a work around to beat this system?

You need to load the SATA drivers from a floppy when installing windows, but once this is installed windows will work fine without the disk. There isn't a "beating" the system it's just that additional drivers are needed for SATA hard disks. The asus website should have the drivers you need for the SATA driver on your motheboard.

If you keep your old HD installed and it is a system drive Windows will go back and boot from it. Disconnect the old drive and try to boot just from the new drive. I suspect the boot will fail, Windows may be pulling files from the old drive when you boot.

If the new drive won't boot do a reapir install. This is where you may need a floppy with the drivers. The alternative is you can "slipstream" your copy of windows onto a blank CD with the SATA drivers on it. Search slipstream. There are multiple posts in here and elsewhere with instructions. Also there are two good, free tools (nlite and I foget the other) to help you easily build a custom windows install CD with all required drivers, service packs and security updates so no downloading is required.

Hi,

I'm not a HW guy so excuse the question if it's silly.

I had lots of problems with my HP XP Pro (upgraded from Home) with a 'hal.dll' error. Eventually sorted everything with Windows recovery and PC has been working fine (relatively) since. One thing that is not working since I 'repaired' is SATA. To get the repair to run I had to disable SATA in the BIOS. I did not add the SATA drivers during the repair so now I would like to fix the SATA as I am told the PC will run faster.

To show my lack of HW knowledge - it was the first time I ever heard of SATA. If I enable SATA now, I get a blue screen on startup (too fast to get the message).

Is there any way to update the driver without re-installing Windows?

Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back