SATA drive question

Android412

OSNN Addict
I assume you can, but just double checking. If you have two HD's, can you run a SATA drive and a ATA drive at the same time?

Just checking,

Android412

As long as your mobo has IDE and SATA controller then sure. I think you would just have to set the boot order in the BIOS. :)

Be careful about your BIOS as well as your mobo.... I have heard some bad things about situations where the only way to select SATA was by ABSENCE of an IDE :eek: - Of course this may not apply in your case (I was hearing this regarding Aopen boards)

Double check that you have the newest BIOS update for your system. Most issues I have read about, are taken care of by updating.

thats the kind of thing i had heard too - thats what happened to indy i think, he may have resolved the issue now tho.

Just have to try it out and see what happens, updated my bios the other day anyway so thats one good step already done. Just got to wire it all up and see if it all works i guess!

yea you can i have windows running on and 80GB SATA and i have all my other medias on 2 IDEs so yea you can have both

Just a gentle bump on this thread, because I just installed a 200GB SATA alongside my 160 and 80 GB IDE drives - now the kicker is I presently have XP installed on the IDE master, but think my primary bootable partition would be better to be on my SATA drive.... anyone know the best way to go about affecting this change?

I would prefer not to reformat - or, if I must, then to take an image of my existing partition and restore it over the top of the new one.... oh and I have PM and Driveimage.... any suggestions welcome!

If youre Hard drives for SATA and IDE are both same manufacturer it might be possible to copy from one to the other using h/drive software (maxblast for Maxtor) etc etc.
Some boards such as Gigabyte will not coexist with SATA first boot at all.
Best ones I have seen are ASRock for that purpose.

thanks tweak - I will try although in this case it is from Samsung Spinpoint to Seagate Sata....

I'll post how I get on (eventually)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back