Sapphire Radeon 9550 256meg ddr

Guybo42

OSNN Addict
I just bought a Sapphire Radeon 9550 256 meg vid card to replace my Radeon 9700 128 meg card but I am running into a problem when I try to run the new one ( 9550 ) at 8x agp, sometimes the card shuts off or I get the bsod and have to reboot. It works fine in 4x agp but I lose noticeable frame rate when playing Far Cry or evn Tiger Woods 2005 in that mode. I have a Soyo KT600 Dragon plus ver.1 m/b with a gig of pc2100 ram. According to the Soyo site, the board only supports 1.5 v cards but I can't seem to find much info on the Sapphire site about the 9550 ie: voltages etc ... Can anyone help ? Or is the Radeon 9550 not a good choice for that board compared to the 9700 even if the ram is more ?

Tx in advance for any help/suggestions.

Hey guybo, does the card have or require a separate power connector independent of the mobo?
I have an X800 XT Sapphire (w/ an Asus A7n8xe-d), and I know that card requires a separate power connector. if it does not need a separate power connect, then check out some of the comments I got when i asked a similar question:
http://forum.osnn.net/showthread.php?t=3256

good luck.

No it does not require a seperate power connector, the 9700 did though. I forgot to mention that I did uninstall all ati files prior to installing the new card, I also checked on the chipset drivers etc.. I just wanted to mention that before someone decided to ask me if I had done it :)

Just for kicks try the Omega drivers, as the 9550 is just a dumbed down 9600. You coulld solve your problem and gain some performance.

The other thing is that some games require patches for video cards with 256Mb or more. Can't hurt to look.

Tx, will check that out also. Now what about the 8x agp thing ? Does anyone have any idea as to why it won't run at that setting. I can hear and see the leds on the computer as it boots up but I have no action from the card and the monitor stays in power saving mode. I have to reboot/reset the agp to 4x before I get any video. I know the card and the board support it, I wonder what's up with that ?

Guys you're missing the point the 9550 is a dumbed down 9600 which is inferior to a 9700. That was not an upgrade. At best it was a lateral shift, at worst, a downgrade.

http://apps.ati.com/ATIcompare/

The 9550 has half the memory bandwidth and , half the texture fill rate of the 9700.

Guybo42 said:
....According to the Soyo site, the board only supports 1.5 v cards but I can't seem to find much info on the Sapphire site about the 9550 ie: voltages etc ...

If the card fits you shouldnt worry about that, 3.0V cards have a different kind of plug than 1.5V cards...So if it doesnt fit it doesnt work :p

LeeJend, my 9700 has 128 megs of ram vice 256 for the 9550, how can it be a downgrade ?

more memory doesn't make a card better...what you did was take a card that can play even todays games reasonably(9700) and trade it in for a card that can't even support the 256MB of memory(9550) and you will get awful performance in comparison...hell you could have had a 9500pro and had better performance out of that than the 9550 you just bought...

any advice I could give to you is that you should reinstall the 9700 and return the 9550 because it is a huge downgrade to put it a little bluntly

also notice the huge price difference between the 9700 pro and the 9550, and the lower model number.

Allrighty then, I'll just take out the radeon 7000 I have in my test machine and use the 9550 in that one then. The 9700 is going back in to the main machine.
Tx for all the info/opinions and such.

good idea...that 9700pro is a great card and has held up well for the past few years

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back