Sandisk 2GB Cruzer Micro vs Cruzer Mini

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
I'm in the market to replace my current Sandisk 2GB Cruzer Mini, as the USB interlaced tip is a bit bent. I've been cautious with it since I noticed the damage, but it appears to be getting worse. The last thing I need is to be stuck without one :(

It's not a "high priority" purchase, I've been keeping an eye on deals that come across now and then. I have thought about getting the 4GB model, but I don't think the cost is justified atm. I don't use it for pure storage, just mostly for keeping things on me and bringing stuff back and forth and from A to B.

I have been comparing the Cruzer Micro to the Cruzer mini for a few days, can't really see much of a difference, yet I'm puzzled. The Micro is smaller, and has all the same features, but is considerably cheaper.

I would think, at least from a geek standpoint, the Micro would be MORE expensive because it adds the convenience of being smaller.

Anyone have the micro, what is it like?

I have a Mini (512MB) and a Titanium (1GB). The Titanium is my favorite.

The micro is notrecognized by 98 systems, I have had that trouble keeping my tool box on it when working on older stuff. Just the same I like my 1g stick better.

i got a 4gb sandisk cruzer mini, got it for 150 canadian too, lol i got it off ebay, but it said it was real sandisk, when i got it it was super slow, so i called sandisk did an rma on it, the guy said it was real, sent it in, and got a new one,( i think the one i originally got might have been fake who knows) but now im sure i have a sandisk for 150 so im happy!

Edit: i also have a 1gb sandisk cruzer mini, but im giving that to my sister

themafia.69 said:
i got a 4gb sandisk cruzer mini, got it for 150 canadian too, lol i got it off ebay, but it said it was real sandisk, when i got it it was super slow, so i called sandisk did an rma on it, the guy said it was real, sent it in, and got a new one,( i think the one i originally got might have been fake who knows) but now im sure i have a sandisk for 150 so im happy!

Edit: i also have a 1gb sandisk cruzer mini, but im giving that to my sister

I thought about getting the 4GB mini as I posted above, but I am all the sudden SMITTEN over the Titanium. That is a good price, and I'm surprised Sandisk worked with you since you bought it off eBay. Lucky F***er :p

Brad said:
Or just keep an eye on www.woot.com (one day sales of random stuff) and www.slickdeals.net

I do track a lot of those sites, as well as other similar purposed web pages. This is what brought it up to me again today, as I found the Micro and Mini for 60 and 72 after rebates, respectively.

falconguard said:
The micro is notrecognized by 98 systems, I have had that trouble keeping my tool box on it when working on older stuff. Just the same I like my 1g stick better.

From my experience, most USB drives aren't recognized by 98 systems. That is why they usually come with a floppy disk or CD with Windows 98 drivers on them...

Brad said:

I already have a laptop enclosure like you have linked above, but that's not the purpose this purchase serves. I currently have a 2GB Cruzer Mini, which I would not be able to live without. I love having it around my neck, and that is why I wanted a comporable product. I do apologize if I wasn't exactly clear in regards to what I was looking for, but thanks for your suggestion.

madmatt said:
I have a Mini (512MB) and a Titanium (1GB). The Titanium is my favorite.

I'm ashamed to admit I had never known about the Titanium before your post, that is one SEXY piece of hardware!!

From the pictures, it looks as if there is a type of slider on the device, which can slide out and then back in the USB tip? That, combined with the advertised 2,000 pounds of pressure would be a selling point for me. The reason why I'm getting rid of mine now, as posted above, is because it "can't stand the heat, so I'm throwing it out of the kitchen", haha :p

kcnycheif said:
I thought about getting the 4GB mini as I posted above, but I am all the sudden SMITTEN over the Titanium. That is a good price, and I'm surprised Sandisk worked with you since you bought it off eBay. Lucky F***er
yeah he even asked for the auction number and looked at it he was like wow you got it at a super price, just print out the invoice and send it along with it

I guess that makes sense, I just didn't think they would work with you on that so well. Nice for you ;)

I think I am going to get the Titanium. I'm sitting on it for about a week or so as I want to pay some bills first, but that is my leading candidate atm :)

if durability is your requirement, you cant beat those titaniums. For me, the priority is form factor. It needs to be small enough that I will have it on me at all times:

PQI:

1951IMG_3588.JPG

http://www.thetechzone.com/?m=show&id=150&page=1http://www.thetechzone.com/?m=show&id=150&page=1

yeah but u have to stick it inside a lil plastic thing to connect it to the computer

LeeJend said:
Being the cheapset SOB on the planet. Since the connector is only bent get one of these for $4.99 and leave it on all the time to protect the damaged connector.

http://www.xpcgear.com/usbaamfadptr.html

Not sexy, but cheap. :)

I missed your post before, sorry about that.

I did consider that option, but I want to replace it altogether. I like excuses to buy new things :smoker:

just curious about the titanium so I checked it out on newegg. If you read the reviews for the 1 gig it looks like about half of them have failed within a short time, if they worked at all when they were received. The 512Mb ones seemed to do a little better but there were still a number of reveiws where they didn't work at all or failed soon after purchase....

btw... here's an 8gig stick.. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820208029

and this one just looks cool: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820219030

Last edited:
Well, I bought the 2GB, so that doesn't apply to me. I read good reviews on the 2GB model, and Sandisk has a warranty, so I'm not all that concerned.

I got my Titanium today. I have to say people who bitched and moaned about this were off their rocker. This thing seems darn near indestructible, and most importantly it's just as fast as my mini. Most people said they were slow, but I noticed no difference in speed. To do a test, I copied the data from my mini, to my PC, then back to the titanium. The titanium actually finished 2 minutes quicker :)

That may be due to the fact that my Mini is slightly damaged (bent tip), but still, I'm very happy about this. I dig the slide-in/slide out feature, very nice!

Madmatt, reps for you dude, I'm grateful for the recommendation!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back