Samsung SC125L (52x CDROM) Problems

R

r3n3gad3

Hey all,
I just got a new CDROM Drive (Samsung SC125L - 52x CDROM). And... lol, u guesed it, it aint working properly :p

I have tried it on 2 PCs and i get exactly the same probs so i was wondering if anybody had any knowlege of misbehaving samsung cdroms :) heres the message i sent to the place i got it:

Hello,
I recently bought a "52x Samsung CD-ROM" from you - which dosent work.
I have tried to install it on both my PCs with no success (one windowsXP and one windowsME), and I was wondering if you could help.

The model number is SC125L (or so the device manager says) - maybe there are some issues with this device (as it doesnt work on either PCs).

Both PCs detect it in BIOS - and windows detects it also. But, when I insert a CD (normal or cd-r etc.), it says "Please inser a disk" - saying that it cant find one right?

I tried going to the samsung website for drivers, but they only provide you with firmware updates (of which i couldn't seem to get working) - so no help there realy.

Windows also says that the device is working, no conflicts and its enabled.

I used a different CDROM drive in both the machines (set up like the new one - master on ide2) and the old CDROM worked...

Thanks in advance - Nick

Interesting I have the same drive with no problems at all. I have it setup on it's own IDE channel. You make sure that you have the Master/Slave relationship set up properly. Also if you are using 80 conductor cables, try 40 conductor cables. My $.02

You might try (if the option is available) to set it on Cable Select.

Hmm, well i'm pretty sure its not the cable because each of the machines i tryed it on have the two diffrent cables - if ya get me (40 and 80)... lol... i know what i'm talking about.

i'll try cable select and tell ya what happens :) thx guys

nope, no luck - tried eveything said here and more... hardware at fault here do ya think? because it isnt even spinning the disc up :S

things i tried so far:
  • using 40 conductor cables (instead of 80)
  • disconnecting all other drives on that interface (and making it master)
  • tried it on a p1 (windowsME) and an amd duron (windowsXP) using both points above
  • installing latest firmware from samsung site
  • tried using the CS option (jumper setting)
  • tried a variety of CD media (inluding cd-r and cd-rom)

from this would you reach the conclusion that it is hardware falilure (on the cdrom drive)? or is it just me....

Last thing, bad power maybe?

Try swithching power for the HDD and CD-ROM, see if that works, doesn't sound like that's the problem but....

nope, ur right, looks like a dud :( ... changing the power didnt work... oh well - thx anyway guys

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back