OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
carp-serv# ./samba start
Removing stale Samba tdb files: . done
Starting nmbd.
Starting smbd.

now i have done a few things from here (all near enough) to help harden it up
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?p=3062672#post3062672

i have checked that the /var/run and /var/log dirs are 755 which they are, and i have also rechecked the smb.conf file which is a backup of a known working version on linux and bsd.

nmbd starts and writes its pid to /var/run fine so i am at a loss as to why smbd wont start.

Have googled for about an hour now reading many a mailing list and there is not one post like mine :( - i have ran smbstatus and got

carp-serv# smbstatus
sessionid.tdb not initialised
/var/db/samba/connections.tdb not initialised
This is normal if an SMB client has never connected to your server.
Failed to open byte range locking database /var/db/samba/brlock.tdb
ERROR: Failed to initialise locking database
Can't initialise locking module - exiting

i hve checked and that file is not there, i have uninstalled and recompiled samba, and that hasnt helped, could it be all the steps i did to harden FreeBSD have caused this ?

Although ftp and web work fine :rolleyes:

are the permissions on /var/db/samba/ set so that samba can read/write/spray graffiti?

yes they are all set to 755 and owner/group is samba - im begining to think it may very well be all the things i did from that link on linuxquestions.org BSD forum as ftp is being a tit atm, i think i may well just wipe the sys - install the pf rules and leave it, people will have to get past the router and then openbsd pf if they wanna get into it, and the people who will be using it are flids and can hardly use windows so they pose no threat to me :)

What does testparm return?

carp-serv# testparm
Load smb config files from /usr/local/etc/smb.conf
Processing section "[home]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions

[global]
workgroup = PHOENIX
interfaces = nfe0
bind interfaces only = Yes
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=16384 SO_SNDBUF=16384
printcap name = cups
hosts allow = 192.168.1.
hosts deny = ALL
printing = cups
print command =
lpq command = %p
lprm command =
hide dot files = No
locking = No
delete readonly = Yes

[home]
comment = Home
path = /home/carpo
valid users = carpo
read only = No

nmbd starts smbd doesn't, i think it is the perms and stuff i did from dr deaths post on linuxquestions have secured it a bit too well, and i have permd something up wrong.

think i will wipe it later and leave off the tweaks and run it as is :) - i think i shoukld have installed everything first then apply those changes, easiest thing will be a wipe and re-install. Thanks to all for their help

Last edited:
nothing in there apart from the msg the service has started

[2008/03/25 17:49:08, 0] nmbd/nmbd.c:main(697)
Netbios nameserver version 3.0.28 started.
Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2007

[2008/03/25 17:49:08, 0] smbd/server.c:main(944)
smbd version 3.0.28 started.
Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2007

is all they show

carp-serv# ./samba start
Removing stale Samba tdb files: done
Starting nmbd.
Starting smbd.
carp-serv#

after a reinstall its working - after a lot of reading elsewhere it comes down to either the settings i did from linuxquestions.org, or the pf rules i had as it looks like not all packages were coming down, so i could have been missing libs, still least it all works now :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back