Samba shares write permissions

AcftMecH

OSNN Addict
I have created a network between 2 PCLOS machines using using samba. In the config for the shares, I have them as public, read and write permissions. I can see each machine fine, but do not have write permissions. Im sure it is a simple permissions thing but dont know enough about setting up permissins. Any ideas? Thanks!

Both machines are setup the same way.. examples below:

Laptop FSTAB to mount my desktop share:

//desk/Desk_D /Mounted_Shares/Desktop_D smbfs username=% 0 0

My Laptop smb.conf reads as follows:

security = share
[Lap_F]
case sensitive = no
msdfs proxy = no
path = /mnt/Lap_F
guest ok = yes
read only = no
inherit permissions = yes
comment = Lap_F

add writeable = yes to your options.

j79zlr said:
add writeable = yes to your options.

thanks for the reply. unfortunately, that didnt work. Changed it and rebooted both machines. could there be a certain chmod command option I need to try? thanks!

My Laptop smb.conf now reads as follows:

security = share
[Lap_F]
case sensitive = no
msdfs proxy = no
path = /mnt/Lap_F
guest ok = yes
writeable = yes
read only = no
inherit permissions = yes
comment = Lap_F

I don't really have any experience using security = share? Do you have write permissions on the mount point? I am trying to figure out what you are doing. So you are mounting a network share locally, then sharing it with samba and trying to write to it? What are all the OS involved. I really think you need to use user level permissions.

actually I am doing it the only way I know how. That is creating a workgroup, shared directory and creating a mount point for it. I am using PCLinuxOS on both machines with Fat32 directory drives on both machines that will be shared. So if there is a better, more secure way of doing it, please let me know............ and if you know of any step by step websites to do it.

Thanks again!

OK, well it can't be a filesystems permission issue since you are using FAT32, FAT32 does not support permissions, everything is set read/write/execute. Try adding rw to your fstab options, e.g.:

//desk/Desk_D /Mounted_Shares/Desktop_D smbfs username=%,rw 0 0

Then run

umount /Mounted_Shares/Desktop_D
mount /Mounted_Shares/Desktop_D

Also, this is linux, you do not have to restart to make changes, if you change your samba options, just restart samba, no need to reboot.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back