Samba - Linux help

indyjones

OSNN.net Adventurer
Hi I have setup a clarkconnect linux server which works fine except i am having a nightmare configuring the samba fileshare.
I am using webmin so the configuration is generic for linux and so far i have got the server to show up, and allow access to the partions i created but, i cannot write to them dispite the status of these shares being read/write public.
Could anybody please point me to a good guide or tutorial of how to do this (preferibly using webmin) as i feel i am well out of my league :)

Thanks

Webmin is a util so you can remotely configure your server http://www.webmin.com/

I have looked at those guides and they are just beyond me :eek:
Here are the relevent screenshots of the samba part attached in a zip file

I would try and help you with that, but I'm sure someone has some experience with using Webmin would be better off trying to help you. Basically all you need to do is edit the smb.conf file in /etc/ then run smbpasswd -a username from the shell for the user accounts.

A basic config would look like:

Code:
[global]
workgroup = YOUR WORKGROUP
server string = MACHINE DESCRIPTION
netbios name = MACHINENAME
encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd
security = user
log file = /var/log/samba.log
log level = 1
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
wins support = yes 

[sharename]
comment = Shared name
path = /usr/share
valid users = user1 user2
public = no
writable = yes
printable = no
create mask = 0765

I would do it by editing configuration files manually as well. At least that way, you know what you're doing so that you can troubleshoot any problems that you might encounter later.

How should I configure the users which groups etc and how will the server reconise windows machines?

cheers

You have to change the mode of the files and directories in the shares to be writeable by the users that you wish to write to it

ok could you tell me how you do this i am a total newbie with this and really have no idea what i am doing the 2 parts i need to shared are separate partions on the hdd /backup and /shared. Could you post a samba config to help more with this domain login and also how do you set the samba passwords and domain logins ? Cheers

in google type samba pdc howto and read that. It is eaiser then me trying to explain how :D

just add the XP username/passwords to the Linux machine, then run smbpasswd -a user1 and enter in the password to each of the users. I don't see a need to set up a domain for a simple home network, besides if you are using XP home you cannot join a domain.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back