Safest RDP connection

Tuffgong4

The Donger Need Food!!!!
Political Access
I would like to open some ports in my router to rdp into my system at home and am wondering if using default ports would be safe enough or should I translate certain ports though the router to the system I want to?

I'll also be setting up either an http or ftp file server for myself and family so they can grab things from me when they want. Again what is the safest way possible.

Myself, I setup a different port for RDP, the router just does the change tho, the comp is still set for 3389.

For FTP and HTTP I just leave em on the defaults, altho I do own a domain so it's a must unless I want ppl to have to specify a port.

If your ISP allows, then I would do as LofLA says, stick with as is. Easier to configure, and all is password protected.

Heeter

well I have a dyndns domain so it would be easy to connect. I'll be testing it out soon and hopefully all works well.

I use Logmein right now, but would like to move to RDP. Can't really say why but I just feel more comfortable using RDP.

I'm also thinking of setting up my dyndns domain on my router and then directing the traffic to my desktop. Don't know how to direct traffic from the router with dyndns than just having the dyndns client on my system.

RDP uses 128bit encryption, log me in uses 448 bit. Thats the only real difference.

All changing ports does is make life difficult for you, it doesn't stop a port scan finding where you moved remote desktop or any other service to.

People that think it helps with security are very well practiced at talking out their behinds.

I'm going to test all the default RDP settings today when I leave my home network and test it all out.

Thanks everyone and I'll post back when I start with the http file server.

I use Logmein right now, but would like to move to RDP. Can't really say why but I just feel more comfortable using RDP.

I'm also thinking of setting up my dyndns domain on my router and then directing the traffic to my desktop. Don't know how to direct traffic from the router with dyndns than just having the dyndns client on my system.

All the DynDNS client does (unless it's changed) is check your current WAN IP address and update it. It doesn't handle any traffic forwarding, switching it to your router would be better since you don't have to have your computer on for an IP update to take place.

For forwarding traffic, just forward the ports you need, don't use the DMZ zone or forward unused ports.

you could use rdp over hamachi, then no need to forward any ports

All the DynDNS client does (unless it's changed) is check your current WAN IP address and update it. It doesn't handle any traffic forwarding, switching it to your router would be better since you don't have to have your computer on for an IP update to take place.

For forwarding traffic, just forward the ports you need, don't use the DMZ zone or forward unused ports.

since I'm using dd-wrt it supports dyndns so I figured I'd just put there.

I've never used DMZ besides in testing and then shut it off right right away...

so on my router I've set up port xxxxx to forward to my local ip address on the network...going to try it tomorrow.

What you should also do is if you use DHCP is setup whats called a static lease or reserved IP. It tells the DHCP server that this MAC address always gets this IP.

That way your computer's IP won't change and break the port forward rule.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back