Safely Remove Hardware item removal

ElementalDragon

The One and Only
hard to tell which topic this would be better under...... Windows Desktop, or Windows Drivers.... but Desktop seemed a tad more appropriate.

Anyone know if there's a way to remove choices from the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon that sits in the system tray? i know that [sarcasm] SOOOOOO many people use a SATA hard drive as a means of mass portable storage [/sarcasm], but i'd rather not have my hard drive listed there..... not that i go to disconnect my GMini, and accidentally click on my hard drive. would probably not end too well......

heh. still would be nice to be able to remove it from the list though..... would also get rid of the icon in the systray when i don't have the gmini attached...

Right Click Task Bar > Properties > Customize

From here find the item called "Safely Remove Hardware" and change its Behavior to "Always Hide"

And thats it and thats all :D

He doesn't want to remove the icon from the tray, he wants to remove an item from appearing in its list of available items to disconnect.

Isn't there a reg hack for that ???

I honestly don't think there is a way of doing it. When you unplug a device and then plug it in again it is going to re-add itself regardless if it is a registry change or an INI file.

madmatt said:
I honestly don't think there is a way of doing it. When you unplug a device and then plug it in again it is going to re-add itself regardless if it is a registry change or an INI file.

but like you already noted, he NEVER wants to disconnect it...

I would agree with johnny, there should be a reg hack to do this...

/goes to investigate...

When you restart the PC it will reconnect and therefore re-add itself.

madmatt said:
When you restart the PC it will reconnect and therefore re-add itself.

so a removable item, always removes/adds itself every time you turn your PC on/off??

that seems a bit overkill to me, it seems to make more sense to only make those changes and/or additions if the device is removed?

:rolleyes:

I guess it depends on the motherboard. Older motherboards don't see USB devices during boot up.

Regardless, that icon doesn't load until such a device is loaded. And Windows doesn't load that device until it boots (that's what I mean by re-adding itself).

I looked every where, including the registry and I can't find any thing. I believe it's built in and can't be changed.

Admiral, it depends on the settings you use for the device.

i.e. optimize for removal or performance. If you have it optimized for performance you should ALWAYS safely remove it.

madmatt said:
Admiral, it depends on the settings you use for the device.

i.e. optimize for removal or performance. If you have it optimized for performance you should ALWAYS safely remove it.

What he said, except for one slight difference...

The BIOS that comes with my motherboard does include a boot USB item for both USB CD-Roms as well as for USB hard drives. So, theoretically one could install Windows to boot off of the USB drive, in which case being able to remove the system drive from inside Windows would be kind of silly. Never tried installing it there however.

I would suspect a registry change might be possible also, but can't confirm from first hand experience. I can confirm however my BIOS containing the ability to set a USB drive as the boot drive however...

Thats not the reason they are removable -- its for raid redundancy and hot swapping.

Yeah, it could make sense for RAID 1 or RAID 5, (ditto on RAID 0, or stripe sets, which include no reduncdency), but the original poster seems to only have 1 SATA HD, looking back at his original post.

One couldn't exactly setup a RAID with just 1 drive, and as such, I could see him wanting to remove this from the list.

BTW, this might take a bit more research... I checked online and found many things but how to do this. I opened up registry editor, searched the word safely, and none of the instances seemed to be part of anything we need. At least not in a plain text readable format as such. Perhaps someone will come accross this.

yeah..... seems like that's one more of many things MS made a royal pain in the arse to do..... and yes, i have but one SATA hard drive (maybe have 2 soon.... but probably still won't be a RAID array)

After my initial incorrect post I did some thinking of how it would be possible and I think I came across an idea.

I currently do not have my Raid controller drivers installed and my two sata drives dont show up in the hardware removal thing. This tells me its a driver thing, so if you absolutely need the raid drivers install maybe if you tweak an ini or similar you can make it so it wont show up.

I am going to install my raid drivers right now and test this theory out... hopfully I dont break something :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back