Safely Remove a Pin Drive

GCNPlayer5

OSNN Newbie
I was woundering if anyone could help me write a bat script for Windows 2000 that would safely remove my pin drive at a click of an icon?

Any help would be wounderful

Might be a dumb question, but what is a "pin drive"? Are you referring to the "safely remove a USB device" icon in the taskbar?

Might be a dumb question, but what is a "pin drive"? Are you referring to the "safely remove a USB device" icon in the taskbar?

same thought. :D

normally, I just yank the usb device out of the port... ;)

posts merged

same thought. :D

normally, I just yank the usb device out of the port... ;)

posts merged

that doesnt work to well in Win 2k sometimes it never writes the data untill you Safely remove the device. I don't understand it but it is Win 2k

that doesnt work to well in Win 2k sometimes it never writes the data untill you Safely remove the device. I don't understand it but it is Win 2k

the sad thing is, he is right. win2k is very bad about not putting the files on the drive if you just pull it out even after the transfer.

I don't remember if 2k has it but when I remove a drive like that in xp, I right click the drive in explorer and click "eject".

I don't remember if 2k has it but when I remove a drive like that in xp, I right click the drive in explorer and click "eject".

ok i want a SCRIPT to do it. In 2k3 you have to right click on it and the go unplug, then it wants to know what port the device is, and then it wants to make sure it has the correct device so it does it asks again.

I am a help desk Tech. I am to much in a hurry trying to get away from the person that i am helping.

Easiest thing is to set the drive write protected, which can be done on most drives by sliding something, which means you can just yank it out.

The drives don't have write protect switches anymore. None of my three do.

Someone has to have fast hack for this. Even XP makes me go through 3 menu's to remove a thumb drive.

Hello ,

I have a similar problem in XP . I dont see the Safely Remove Hardware button on the Taskbar , so I tried to unhide it using the Taskbar properties but they are grayed out , also when I try to remove them using the MyComputer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager and try to get the Safely Remove Wizard Its also grayed out.

Another option I have tried is to right click on the USB Flash Drive and Click Eject but I get the following error " windows cannot safely remove the hardware , a process is using it." Funny thing about this is that this happens even if i just plug in the usb drive and try to remove it without copying or deleting anything .

Any ideas ? Maybe bad Flash drive ?

Thanks
gh057

The drives don't have write protect switches anymore. None of my three do.

Someone has to have fast hack for this. Even XP makes me go through 3 menu's to remove a thumb drive.

Okay, this is weird. I've never had that experience (having to go through 3 menus to remove a thumb or any other removable drive).

You can right click and select your device from a more complicated menu but you can also left click instead then select the drive from the pop-up menu.

I don't remember if Windows 2000 has all these options, but in XP and Vista for thumb drives there's an option in the Device Mangager for "Optimize for quick removal" and "Optimize for performance".

Basically if you have your thumb drive plugged in, then go to the device menu, expand the lists of Disk Drives and double-click on your thumb drive listed there. Then select the Policies tab and there's the two options. In theory if you choose "Optimize for quick removal" then you don't have to use the Safely Remove Hardware notifcation icon. Like I said, in theory so don't blame me. :)

Other drives (hard drives, et cetera) might have other performance options you may be interested in as well. Different Windows installations combined with different hardware and drivers will produce different defaults as to what options are selected already. Even on my machines without battery backup, I always choose the highest performing mode.

Thats the problem the policies are grayed out , I cant modify them ... I think has to do w/ my companies rights issue :-(.

Not necessarily. Some drivers for some chipsets don't let you change the settings.

My old workhorse's VIA 8237-based SATA RAID doesn't let me change it under XP either (grayed out).

My newer AMD/ATI-based SATA RAID does let me change it under Vista.

It depends on the chipset and the drivers. I know this happens even with old IDE without RAID too.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back