Safari - most compatible browser?

LordOfLA

Godlike!
According to this site Safari looks to be the most standards compliant browser to date and in to the future.

Is this correct - does anyone have information to the contrary? Have those of you that use it encountered any page rendering errors at all?

I generally avoid it on windows due to its weird font rendering however I could look past that if it is going to be showing pages as close to correctly as currently possible.

Fwiw, Safari SUCKS.

I don't care how compatible it is. I only use it because I have no choice on the iPhone, otherwise it is FF, Chrome, Opera and IE for me :D

The only page rendering issues I have found were due to bad formatting on the website in question, and websites that were designed with ActiveX controls in mind which off course is to be expected.

That being said, Safari is my browser of choice on Mac OS X, and Google's Chrome is my browser of choice on Windows.

FireFox is too heavy and bloated. It absolutely sucks compared to the two mentioned above, it does not even come close in rendering speed.

well.. why do they include firefox 3.2 in the future release when 4.0 has already been announced?
3.1/2 should be both near future

and.. idk about compatibility with everything, but opera was the first browser to pass the acid tests.. that's gotta count for something

Standards compliant doesn't mean better given how many sites use non-standard code.

Standards compliant doesn't mean better given how many sites use non-standard code.

Sadly, this is so absolutely true!

Opera is/was a great browser. I used it years and years ago back when it was still barely heard of. I even donated money. Unfortunately, they lost me over the years and I'm really not a fan and greatly dislike using it these days. I supported the old Netscape and Opera and hated IE. I use Chromium (not Chrome) for most forum reading, Firefox when I have issues with Chromium, and IE for very few and specific sites where it works best. Safari doesn't interest me because I can't stand the look of it. I respect the use of WebKit and the technologies behind it but to me the browser is an eyesore.

Last edited:
well.. why do they include firefox 3.2 in the future release when 4.0 has already been announced?
3.1/2 should be both near future

and.. idk about compatibility with everything, but opera was the first browser to pass the acid tests.. that's gotta count for something

The first browser to pass all of them was WebKit a.k.a Safari. Mainly because Hickson the creator of the test had to fix an issue. That being said, it was an extremely close race that was watched closely on all sides.

Safari 4.0 Developer Preview is shaping up nicely as well!

oh, ok, thats true (even tho none passes acid3 right now)

oh, ok, thats true (even tho none passes acid3 right now)

I beg to differ. Feel free to download the Safari 4.0 Developer Preview from ADC, or one of the nightly WebKit's. I am running Safari 4.0 and it is awesome.

Is it Safari? or Webkit? ... hence all Webkit based browsers?

Is it Safari? or Webkit? ... hence all Webkit based browsers?

Whatever browsers are using a WebKit with Acid 3 support complete will have full support for Acid 3. Ha, that makes sense eh? :p

So all Webkit enabled browsers in theory could be passing Acid 3 right now, most likely they are not as they are not running the latest bleeding edge branch but rather are running the more stable branch. Like Google's Chrome for example.

WebKit is blurring the line between browser and rendering engine. Really it is WebKit that is doing all the work, and the browser is just a nice frame around the renderer. It provides the user with the address bar, bookmarks and the visual aspect. It is really interesting to see it play out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back