Safari 3 (browser) Public Beta available now!

I've not tried it for more than a few seconds on Windows. Normally most Apple software on Windows is pretty slow, equally Microsoft software on Mac is pretty bad too.

Mac side though Safari 3 is pretty good, and 10 times better than Firefox for Mac which leaks mem like a sieve and looks marginally better than a polished turd. I have still yet to find a keyboard combo for navigating tabs in firefox. Don't point me at an extension this sort of thing should be built in. The Shift+Apple+Arrow set is a frequently used combo by myself for navigating tabs in Safari.

At the same time I am glad its arrived for Windows, I hope it to become a valuable tool in every web developers toolbox so that the sole reason for keeping Firefox on Mac can finally be expunged.

BTW quite cool, no idea if this is a Safari thing or a vB thing but I seem to be able to drag the size of this text area.

Wow, that is extremely harsh. It is BETA software. I am sure it will get better. BTW, Safari was never meant to be customised. It was meant to be plain, and as such easier to use.

Edit: as for FireFox on Mac OS X, Geffy is right. It is insane how much memory it will consume if you leave it open too long, or visit a certain amount of pages with it.

Edit 2: The resizing thing is all Safari. It even does it on your blog, and I am pretty sure that does not have JavaScript for it.

Last edited:
X, this BETA software was proclaimed as being faster than a speeding bullet.

Now unless this speeding bullet was competing against a sloth/snail/tortoise hybrid running in molases, I don't know how that kind of retarded proclamation can be made.

It also looks like ass. Firefox was rightly criticized for looking like shyte on Vista. At least you can customize it. The fonts look like ass too.

FF uses a lot of memory, no doubt, but it still works fast :cool:

Btw, since when is it a good idea to disable the back/forward clicks on a windows browser? What is this? 1999?

Harsh words have been spoken!!

I use IE7 and Opera thats it thats all folks ...

I like it so far. Great Info!!

One Question though. Can Adblock be put on it>

How is it you are able to coax so much speed out of it Kunal :)

For me, it is about the same in some things and woefully slower in others.

I like it so far. Great Info!!

One Question though. Can Adblock be put on it>

No, Safari does not support extensions in any way shape or form other than browser plug-ins for your standard media.

anyone else finding that it crash's when you put in any proxy authentication details ?

its... meh...

Seems to render fine, quite quick, although i didn't do any direct comparisons. Seems to work as a browser... but is that good enough these days?

Also the brushed metal look is so 2003 on windows :)

Something wrong with your computer. Are you missing the default font? (Times new Roman).

loaderbull: As for your eBay problem, I don't know what to tell you, not a problem here, renders as eBay intended it to be rendered. Their text has always been small. It is smaller than the text here on OSNN.net, but that has always been the case, and is the case for me in IE 7, FireFox, opera, or Safari, so ......

I agree eBay is small anyway, but it is very small with Safari. I understand it is beta though and am not judging it until release of course, it's always nice to get a 'feel' of something pre-release.

I'll be following the progress i'm sure.

Nice review, Kunal. :up:
Thanks, Ryan. :)

How is it you are able to coax so much speed out of it Kunal :)
Don't know, really. All three browsers on my system are using vanilla settings. No tweaks or anything of the sort.

anyone else finding that it crash's when you put in any proxy authentication details ?
Yeah, it's been crashing now and then on me since yesterday. Too bad there's no session saver for it, eh? ;)

You know what crashes IE 7 (Vista) quite a bit? Flash Player.

It is slower than IE and Firefox. It also crashes way to much; not to mention, not all the features work ...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back