sad day...Author Hunter S. Thompson...

Tuffgong4

The Donger Need Food!!!!
Political Access
Author Hunter S. Thompson Kills Himself
link http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/O/OBIT_THOMPSON?SITE=SCBMN&SECTION=HOME
By CATHERINE TSAI
Associated Press Writer

DENVER (AP) -- Hunter S. Thompson, the acerbic counterculture writer who popularized a new form of fictional journalism in books like "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," fatally shot himself Sunday night at his Aspen-area home, his son said. He was 67.

"Hunter prized his privacy and we ask that his friends and admirers respect that privacy as well as that of his family," Juan Thompson said in a statement released to the Aspen Daily News.

Pitkin County Sheriff Bob Braudis, a personal friend of Thompson, confirmed the death to the News. Sheriff's officials did not return calls to The Associated Press late Sunday.

Juan Thompson found his father's body. Thompson's wife, Anita, was not home at the time.

Besides the 1972 drug-hazed classic about Thompson's visit to Las Vegas, he also wrote "Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail '72." The central character in those wild, sprawling satires was "Dr. Thompson," a snarling, drug- and alcohol-crazed observer and participant.

Thompson is credited with pioneering New Journalism - or, as he dubbed it, "gonzo journalism" - in which the writer made himself an essential component of the story. Much of his earliest work appeared in Rolling Stone magazine.

"Fiction is based on reality unless you're a fairy-tale artist," Thompson told the AP in 2003. "You have to get your knowledge of life from somewhere. You have to know the material you're writing about before you alter it."

An acute observer of the decadence and depravity in American life, Thompson also wrote such collections "Generation of Swine" and "Songs of the Doomed." His first ever novel, "The Rum Diary," written in 1959, was first published in 1998.

Thompson was a counterculture icon at the height of the Watergate era, and Richard Nixon once said he represented "that dark, venal, and incurably violent side of the American character."

Thompson also was the model for Gary Trudeau's balding "Uncle Duke" in the comic strip "Doonesbury" and was portrayed on screen by Johnny Depp in a film adaptation of "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas."

Other books include "The Great Shark Hunt," "Hell's Angels" and "The Proud Highway." His most recent effort was "Hey Rube: Blood Sport, the Bush Doctrine, and the Downward Spiral of Dumbness."

His compound in Woody Creek, not far from Aspen, was almost as legendary as Thompson. He prized peacocks and weapons; in 2000, he accidentally shot and slightly wounded his assistant, Deborah Fuller, trying to chase a bear off his property.

this truley is sad. i just watcheda documentery on him a few days ago. and he was the only person who was able to pull of his style. sad sad day.

i probably read some of his work i dont know, but its still very sad that someone takes their own life, r.i.p.

Sad?

Hey Gonzo would not say that - WTF... might even say, WTG 67 is my lucky number!

When I heard it I thought "Well man, you always had my respect and you knew Keroac and played with guns..... guess you had your reasons.... guess 67 is a good age.... way to go man, respect and peace (now)"

Just my thoughts, please refrain from la flambé ;)

i second that mainframeguy i think he like anyone to take a drink to him though. or more.. hehe *pours rum and coke*

and im watching fear and loathing right now./

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas will be watched tomorrow.

yeah it's really sad, his writing was amazing and so many of his editors were willing to put up with his øøøø and publish his stories. i wonder why he killed himself, i guess we'll never know.

For the (apparently few) who might be interested here is a piece in the media by Ralph Steadman, who knew this very hip dude well :cool:

dreamliner77 said:
I'd like to think he just went out the way he wanted...

if you read the article I linked then i think there is little doubt this would be the case - and remember he had real suffering with arthritis - that pain can get incredible with age.... WTG Gonzo man I say! respect.....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back