S l o w Boot Prob

C

Carol

Hello...
My XP has started doing something that confuses me & I don't know how to fix it, so thought someone here might have some ideas...

Here goes...*G*....I've been runnin this OS for 'bout 6 mos. with no probs - runs just great, in fact....But, as of about a week ago the boot time has changed drastically - like from about 30 seconds to around 5 mins now...like, one day normal, next day way SLOW.....I don't get it...grrrrrrr!
First....Right after the black screen with the 'loading' bar, a msg pops up tellin me that my password is about to expire, tho I don't even have one entered..(TweakUI 'fixed' it to logon without, or so I thought).....Tho a minor annoyance, I'd rather not have to bother with a pass...

Aside from the password business the main issue is the slowness of the whole boot process....after the first logon screen (XP black one) it'll sit at a 'Windows Is Starting' screen (haven't seen this one before now) forever....Then on to the 'Loading Settings ??' screen and on into Windows.....

Tho I'm not totally knowledgeable of XP, yet, I looked in the Event/Error log (don't really know what I'm looking for, tho *G*) but don't see anything majorly wrong with the exception of a few 'Application Hang' errors....

Soooo, what to do to fix this??...Oh and for the record, I'm way unfamiliar with registry dealings...

Any help will be greatly appreciated & thanks!!......Carol

In your c:\windows folder you'll find a folder named prefetch...
Delete the entrys in that folder and see if that helps...

Re: to MiseryQ

Heya Misery...

Thanks so much for replying to my booting trip...Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'd cleaned out the preftech stuff before posting my prob, and nope, that's made no difference at all... : ( Be nice if that solved it, huh?........Any other ideas?

C.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back