Running programs as Admin...

scriptasylum

OSNN Senior Addict
The kid's PC has a few games that require Admin priveledges to run (weird, huh). Of course I am not about to give them that type of access for obvious reasons. I can run them if I right-click and select "run as..." and then enter the password for the admin account. Is there a way (or use a program) to do this automatically every time it is run without having to enter the password? Windows2000 lets you do this, but XP doesn't have quite the same option.

I can recommend you try the following. Go to www.sysinternals.com and download "regmon" and "filemon" Run one of them and then the program. Stop the logging when you get the problem. Then go through the log and find the file or registry entry that is causing the problem. Give them access to that file or entry. Thats what I have to do at work when we get a new program that doesn't quite work right. Good luck

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

I don't know why M$ changed the way the "run as..." worked from Windows2000. Oh well.

Update:

Instead of running a prog to figure out the trouble file/reg entry, I simply gave the kids' user type full control of the directory the game runs in.

Now they are happy. But I warned them that if they muck around with those programs and they don't work anymore it's their tough luck. :p

Older EA Games seem to have this problem.

Something to do with the software trying to veryfy the CD isn't a copy.

Downloading a CD crack usually works!!

Originally posted by rushm001
...Downloading a CD crack usually works!!

Unfortunately, there isn't a CD crack for NFS-Porsche Unleashed. It won't even work with Admin priveledges... you MUST have the CD.

Originally posted by Burpster
there are patches(no-cd) for NFS porsche

Yes, there are patches, but none work in XP (that I have found). They all start and just after the initial screen, the harddrive thrashes continuously but the game does not continue.

I do have a legit copy of this prog, but hate having to use the CD every time I want to play. I did make a copy and use that until I can figure out a way to make the NOCD crack work.

you guys hush about cracks, read the forum guildlines again, or I will have to get rough.

cool.gif

Originally posted by Iceman
you guys hush about cracks, read the forum guildlines again, or I will have to get rough.

cool.gif

Yeah, I know :)

I'm not trying to use illegally acquired software, I'm just trying to use what I bought. These games that require the user to insert the CD just to play can be rough on the CDs; especially if you have kids that don't seem to understand where the CD is supposed to go once they remove it from the DROM drive. I try to make a playable copy to preserve the original, but sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Anyway, point taken. :eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back