Running multiple Antivirus programs simultaneously

leedogg

Gojyone kawaiiiiiiii!
I'm running AVG antivirus and Norton Anti. Is this bad? Why would it be bad to have 2 virus checkers at the same time?

Posted by Leedogg
I'm running AVG antivirus and Norton Anti. Is this bad? Why would it be bad to have 2 virus checkers at the same time?

Other than slowing down your system I can't see any harm it would do. :)

1) What's the point? One top notch AV will do the job (NAV is my choice)
2) Using both will require a heavy resource load (again, for no good reason)
3) Potential conflicts may arise

It's your system - do as you will.

:confused: WHY:confused:

I'm with Allan on this one. 2 AV progs, I reluctantly have 1.

I hate to have to run NAV let alone another AV Program at the same time. But other than the system resources load it would generate, I really doubht it would cause any harm.

I remember once back in college I had both norton and mcaffee running. I forget which did which, but there was a certain virus floating around at the time (chernoble?) and one of these av's would detect it but couldnt clean it, the other could clean it but couldnt detect it...??? So I had to use both in tandem. That was a pain. Even now I'm a little paranoid because AVG picks up things that Norton doesnt even catch a wiff of...

I've been warned that having 2 av's can be a nono, and I was wondering why...

I tried running AVG and McAfee at the same time but they would not play ball. It took ages to boot up the PC and AVG would disable the McAfee memory-resident scanner as soon as it loaded.

I then tried setting up AVG for disc scanning only (with it's memory-resident module disabled) but they still clashed. I did manage to get Avast32 running on the same machine as McAfee but had to set it up for on-demand disc scanning only. The main problem seem to arise if you try to have two memory-resident AV scanners running together.

Alan

Unless you are really paranoid there is no need to run two(2) AV proggies simultaneously. Pick one(1) and be happy. :)

Plus some of those AV proggies out there may have memory-resident modules that may clash with the other AV Program and then nothing gets done and it's as if you had no AV at all.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back