running chdsk /f

A

AmarSingh

Ok.....i messed up my laptop.

i used partition magic to delete a partition and resize the C: partition, but it was the first time i had used partition magic and i messed it up. It wont let me boot into windows. So i botted partition magic from the rescue disks that i created and i told me tha my problem would be fixed if i ran chdsk /f. The problem is i cant even boot to the command prompt. How do i make a boot disk for xp so that i can run chdsk??

I take it you're not getting far enough to get into safe mode? If not then the only thing i can think of would be a repair install from the CD, or from your i386 directory if it's on your hard drive.

i cant access the hard drive....and i cant get into safe mode..so there is no wasy to run chdsk from a bootable floppy?

i can run chkdsk from the recovery option when booting from the xp cd, but there is no /f option

im running with the /r option....i think it might work

well chkdisk /p /r fixed the disk error, but i still cant boot......i guess format and reinstall?

for anybody that uses partition magic......when you only have one partition is it listed as C: or is it listed as * cuz mine is listed as *

If you have important stuff you need to get off, you could try a repair installation. After that, if it runs well leave it. If it's buggy then do a clean install.

I'm not sure about the *.

well the repair install worked....only one problem......i have two (yes two) legitimate copies of windows xp ...one for my desktop and one for my labtop. When i did the repair install....i used the wrong one. Windows wants me to activate again and I think that that is going to be a problem since ive already activated it once with my desktop. I could do a clean install....but im too lazy since i just did one a few days ago and i jsut got all of my programs installed.

Just call it in, explain what happened. I'm not sure, but doesn't the activation wizard ask for the CD Key during the process, or no? Anyways, i'm sure Billy will understand, as long as you PROMISE not to install it on any more computers.

forget it.....im just gonna go ahead and do a clean install......the dvd decoder is giving me problems and i dont want to find more along the way.....i think its best to do it now while i still have everything backed up....save trouble in the future. thanks for all the help lonman

You bet. Might want to run Partition magic on it first and make sure you don't have any unallocated space on your drive. Or just to check and make sure it's how you want it. Good luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back