Running an application through a static IP

yodaswisdom

OSNN Newbie
Hey guys, I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I have a client who has an old Win 2k Pro Server machine, which runs a .asp program. This computer is part of a large LAN at his office. He just requested a static IP address from his DSL provider and wants to be able to access the .asp application on the server from the net. How do I go about setting this up for him? FWIW, all of the clients on the LAN have static IPs. I have a general understanding of port forwarding, but do not have enough information to make this happen. Could someone give me a list of what needs to happen?

Thanks in advance!

note: if he is already able to run the ASP-based application, I'm assuming he already has IIS and it is running and working.

Need a little bit more info.. more specifically how network and internet connectino is configured. Is he behind a firewall? What kind of firewall? Since you mention port forwarding, i'm assuming there is a firewall.

If you have a basic understanding, then all you would need to do is setup the static IP address on the firewall, configure the firewall to forward port 80 to the webserver - in this case, your web server is the win2kpro box (assuming you are not going to use SSL or some other esoteric port for your web traffic)

second note: this is not the most secure way to publish a web application and if this is for a company, I would say don't do it. You would be allowing external access direct access to a non-secure OS. Win2kPro was not really made to be a server and really shouldn't be used as such - especially for a production application - for example, IIS on win2kPro is limited to 10 concurrent connections.

edit:
If I were a consultant, I could never recommend this to a client. First issue is using Win2kPro as a web server and the second issue is wanting to allow internet traffic direct access to the webserver. Setup a DMZ.. use a reverse proxy solution, and go buy the server version of windows (or linux, or other server OS).

Last edited:
Hello,

Yes, this is a very temporary solution to a problem that will be solved properly later on. Yes, the server is behind a firewall (built into a DSL router). So, if I am understanding right, I would point HTML on port 80 to 192.168.1.111 (the server's internal static IP). Now, please help me understand this...should I share the directories that contain the files that the application will need to access? If so, how do I make it easy for them to run the application? End result (temporary, of course) they want to simply put in their static IP, followed by a un/pw combo and launch their application from there. Please let me know if I need to clarify further.

Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back