Running a 1.33 GHz Thunderbird at 1.7 GHz?

melon

MS-DOS 2.0
Political Access
Okay, so I'm checking out my AMD processor information under Asus Probe 2, and it states that my processor is running at 1333 MHz, which it is supposed to, but it also says that the maximum speed is 1700 MHz. Does this ultimately mean that the processor I have is actually capable of 1.7 GHz? I can, theoretically, probably change my manual settings in my BIOS to actually get it up to that, but does that actually mean that my processor can handle that?

Clarification would be appreciated...

Melon

over clocking is never recommended unless you understand not only the basics behind it, and the consequences..

you void your warranty as soon as you overclock your cpu...

also you need to not only have the motherboard but also the heatsink capable of handling the overclock you are talking about..

of course you can 'unlock' your cpu to allow for a higher clock multiplier therefore keeping your temperature lower since you won't have to jack up the fsb..

your cpu might be able to handle it with the proper cooling...

I have run my cpu @ 1200mhz and 1750mhz and I don;t notice real world difference in performance @ all... keep that in mind before you think about overclocking... :)

lol sazar always against over clocking.
The Athlon 1.333 gig can very well hit that speed but it isnt easy to do and your motherboard (not the processor) may not be able to handle it. The chip you have (ie athlon 1.333 gig) isnt a locked cpu so your in luck there. So you can change the multipliers if your motherboard will alow you to do it either threw the bios or hardware. On a chip like that you can up the multipliers from 10 (10x133=1333) to 10.5 or 11 and if you pump up the voltage maybe even 11.5. Then its all the fsb from there. bare in mind that your other components such as video and memory may also dicate how far you can raise the fsb namly the memory in most cases. If you up your fsb on the processor as a resualt you up the memory clock speed to and some memory dont like that. So if you were to hit 1.7 gig you would need mondo cooling (just put your computer in the freezer) and some bad ass memory but im sure it could be done. I would go for a more modest overclock like 1.5 gig. Thats currently what im running my parents 1.333 gig and i do see a real world benefit. Just depends on the computer and components.

Sazar do you not play many games? Cuzz any gamer would notice a difference between 1200mhz and 1750mhz REAL FAST. but he is right in if you only use like office type programs u won't notice anything unless your the bionic man and can tell the difference between 2 seconds and 1.8 second load times in word.

Originally posted by Krux
Sazar do you not play many games? Cuzz any gamer would notice a difference between 1200mhz and 1750mhz REAL FAST. but he is right in if you only use like office type programs u won't notice anything unless your the bionic man and can tell the difference between 2 seconds and 1.8 second load times in word.

please note video card.... :) I don't notice any discernible difference... perhaps when doom III comes out... but for right now I play maxed res and I can't see a difference...

I keep my pc at stock btw.. 1.6ghz :) and have heatsinks on everything that needs heatsinks..

get a gigabyte board and you wont have problems seeing increased performance. Msi is a nice setup but they arnt really for the overclocker/gamer

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back