Running 64-bit OSes on Athlon 64?

M

multmin

Dear All Athlon 64 users,

I am looking for someone (anyone) who is using a 64-bit OS other than a Windows flavor (no Win 64 beta, in other words) and their experiences with it. I am planning on building an Athlon 64-based PC and would like to use a 64-bit OS specifically geared toward the AMD64 (such as Turbolinux, SuSE, Mandrake 9.2, etc), but I would like to know if there is anything I should know before jumping into it. Move this topic as needed. Thank you for your comments!

multmin

This is the correct place.
And welcome to NTFS Multimin!
Enjoy you're day :)

Thanks, Vipersnake. Glad to be here - been a lurker for awhile, but only starting to post now.

Going through the net, it seems that some of the supposed 64-bit OSes, like Redhat Enterprise and SuSE Linux Enterprise Server, are expensive, and I would most certainly be using this computer at home (not as a workstation or server). I was thinking of using either SuSE 9.0 for AMD64 or a downloadable ISO (probably Mandrake 9.2). The shots I've seen of SuSE make it seem very user friendly. I would be new to Linux, which makes me somewhat hesitant to try the ISOs. However, I am assuming some or all of these ISOs (like Mandrake, Debian, Gentoo) are free? Plus, what makes these new OSes truly "for" the AMD64? Do they utilize 64-bit drivers, the chip's architecture, or what exactly?

Unfortunately, I use Windows for most of my work, as I have to do musical notation with Finale. I've read of others trying to get Finale to work on Linux systems (through Wine), but I'll probably have a dual-boot system in the end.

My concerns with using Linux OSes would be 1) finding all the drivers (which sounds like a large and constant problem), and 2) software compatibility. Wine sounds like a hit-or-miss thing. I guess with the dual-boot I wouldn't have to worry - just run whatever I need on whatever works.

If anyone is already using any 64-bit OS on their Athlon 64 or FX, just keep the comments coming.

What makes them for the AMD64 is that they are compiled for AMD's 64-bit architecture.

If you are choosing between Suse and Mandrake I would lean towards Suse. Is a much better OS (in my opinion) than Mandrake.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back