Running 2 firewalls with SP2

napalmnthemorning

OSNN Senior Addict
Are you guys running two firewalls with SP2. DA! I was, obviously not thinking about conflicts. With SP2 it doesn't check the outbound traffic, just the inbound! Hmmm! Which to use, my Sygate Pro or the built in firewall with SP2. Will I ran a little experiment and aimed it at the OSNN forum. With my advanced settings in Sygate Pro I was blocking about 12,000 IP's which was causing the forum pages to open up very slow here at OSNN for obvious reason. After turning off Sygate my pages and web browsing are opening up very fast. So whats the trade off here. Maybe I'll run Sygate Pro when I'm running my filesharing programs and turn it off when I'm not. ? What do you guys think. Which will you use.

Whatever you choose to do, don't run two software firewalls together to avoid:
1) Redundancy (and thus, resource wastage)
2) Conflicts between the two firewall apps

If you go with Sygate, disable the Windows Firewall, since Sygate does everything WF does and more. If you prefer to stick to WF and don't need outbound monitoring, uninstall Sygate.

Disabled SP2 firewall and running 5.5 2637. surfing fast, very little delays even with several thousand blocked IP's in Advanced Rules configured specifically for a couple p2p programs I'm running.

Hi m8
I'm running nortons and ISS, and have no problems at all.

ejm

Router and SP2 Firewall.

Had Sygate Pro but it is more hassle than it's worth on my home network. SP2 is much less obtrusive, if less secure but totally worth the tradeoffs.

I don't have to fight with the firewall among networked computers and I get more resources on my older systems. The new systems only use SP2 firewall too.

If someone wants to hack it good luck to them, my information is only worth so much effort to protect. And the protections I do have in place will deter the vast majority of people after it.

And if someone does mess it up I'll just restore the drive image. :p

chaos945 said:
Router and SP2 Firewall.

Had Sygate Pro but it is more hassle than it's worth on my home network. SP2 is much less obtrusive, if less secure but totally worth the tradeoffs.

I don't have to fight with the firewall among networked computers and I get more resources on my older systems. The new systems only use SP2 firewall too.

If someone wants to hack it good luck to them, my information is only worth so much effort to protect. And the protections I do have in place will deter the vast majority of people after it.

And if someone does mess it up I'll just restore the drive image. :p
Exactly my thoughts.
rofl.gif

Same here...router and Windows Firewall on all my machines now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back