rundll32.exe not shutting down. XP

SuDs

OSNN Junior Addict
When i goto shut down windows xp, rundll32.exe doesn't want to close. i have to end task it for it to actually shutdown. i don't know what the hell to do.

i've virus scanned, adawared, cwshredded, defragged, dskchked and still i have this problem.

one thing i notice is that i have 2 rundll32.exe's running as i start up windows.
if i force quit one of them, it shut's down alright.

what should/can i do?

:confused:

First check to make sure that you don't need Rundll32.exe running by closing it right after you boot up your computer, and making sure everything is working properly. Then, after you are sure that you don't require it to be running, go to Start, Run, and then type msconfig and press enter, or hit OK. Then go to the Startup tab, find the item in the list for Rundll32.exe, and clear the checkmark to the left of it. That way it will stop it from loading up when Windows XP starts. If you find out later that it causes problems with yoru computer, you can always go back into msconfig and put the check box next to it again.

-pSxMoD

pSxMoD said:
First check to make sure that you don't need Rundll32.exe running by closing it right after you boot up your computer, and making sure everything is working properly. Then, after you are sure that you don't require it to be running, go to Start, Run, and then type msconfig and press enter, or hit OK. Then go to the Startup tab, find the item in the list for Rundll32.exe, and clear the checkmark to the left of it. That way it will stop it from loading up when Windows XP starts. If you find out later that it causes problems with yoru computer, you can always go back into msconfig and put the check box next to it again.

-pSxMoD

This is a good aproach; except if it is for rundll32. Take a look at the event viewer, and see if there are any application, system, or security events recorderd. runndll is exactly what is says. It is a loader for libraries. you can't just shut it off. There is something else triggering it's startup.

thank you guys!!! i love u.

i looked all over to figure out how to fix this, i even checked the msconfig thing, and since u mentioned it, i re-checked it just to be sure, and whaddyaknow there was this bridge.dll file opening the rundll32.exe file. turns out to be some spyware thing, adaware completely missed it, got search and destroy and quickly killed it. my comp is back to normal now! thx!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back