Rundll32.exe 100% CPU usage

Moonwraith

OSNN Veteran Addict
Evening all,

My brother's having some issues at the moment, whereby 100% cpu usage (or there, there abouts) is being used by Rundll32.exe I dunno what's causing this :crosseyed:

Any ideas?
Cheers,

-Wraith.

is he folding @ home? also does he have anti-virus or no?

if he was folding at home it'd show winFAH.exe or one of the F@H cores but he doesn't either ways..

He's not got any anti virus atm, S'pose i'll chuck some on there later

could be a virus running amock have him run a Virus Scan.

You can also visit www.SysInfo.org to get more information on waht RunDll32.exe could be doing.

Good Luck

yeah chuck avg free at him best antivirus system imo!

Yeah on a system connected to the net w/out anti-virus I would check that 1st as I recall a virus/trojan that ran as rundll32 but was in a different location then the real system file. ;)

Oh and a good FREE online scanner is housecall.

Cheers all. I'll give a few of them a shot and see what comes up

I'll be back with news soon methinks

if u cant access any online virus scanner, then check the hosts file because the viruses add the antivirus sites to the hosts file making it not assessible.

Check out services.msc and see if any services are hung on "Starting"

Might want to do a full spyware scan too, I know some that can cause the CPU usage % to spike at 100% for a while. It's not necessairly a virus.

For spyware removal I normally use either MS Antispyware Beta, or Ad-Aware SE.

My antivirus is the full version of AVG Antivirus 7, which is VERY good!

LordOfLA said:
best FREE av system.

best OVERALL is Kaspersky AV

AVG free is also very good and low on resources

See if you still have 100% in safe mode - then you can narrow the possibilities. Executing the suggestions above will likely resolve it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back