• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Run, Search, Help & Support dont work...

leedogg

Gojyone kawaiiiiiiii!
In my XP Start menu, when I click on run, search or Help & Support nothing happens...

Any suggestions? I would really like to get my run back :(

yoyo

Did you use a registry cleaner recently? If so there may be backups you can try to restore.
Also system restore may be an option if it is a problem that occured recently, did it?
Do Search or Help work from within Explorer, can you bring up the run dialogue by pressing Windows key + R or from taskmanager - file - new task?

leedogg

Gojyone kawaiiiiiiii!
well the windows + R key works =) help & support from explorer doesnt tho.

Do you think the System File Checker might fix this problem?

J

jumpy

I don't know about the others but for help and support just check that the Help and Support service hasn't been turned off. Control Panel -> Admin Tools -> Services -> Help and Support.

If it's not that, well i think a system restore should fix it. Or a windows repair if it comes to that. There would be no harm in running the system file checker. :)

yoyo

You can try sfc, but I doubt it will work. More likely something in the registry.

What's about a system restore?

Do F1 (Help) and Win+F (Search) work?

j79zlr

Glaanies script monkey
Political User
Originally posted by jumpy
I don't know about the others but for help and support just check that the Help and Support service hasn't been turned off. Control Panel -> Admin Tools -> Services -> Help and Support.

If it's not that, well i think a system restore should fix it. Or a windows repair if it comes to that. There would be no harm in running the system file checker. :)
Just FYI, H&S service always starts if its disabled, it then changes itself to Automatic. I wish I could fix that.

J

jumpy

Originally posted by j79zlr
Just FYI, H&S service always starts if its disabled, it then changes itself to Automatic. I wish I could fix that.
Just tried it, what a pain in the a$$. What would be the point in microsoft doing this?

leedogg

Gojyone kawaiiiiiiii!
win f work and win r work, but help & support doesnt start from explorer...

i have a couple registry backups from jv16 maybe I'll load those

leedogg

Gojyone kawaiiiiiiii!
no luck hipster.

well. I've got win+R and win+F so at least thats something....the one thing I did change was the default icons for run,search, & help...dont think that would affect it?..

leedogg

Gojyone kawaiiiiiiii!
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID.

"DefaultIcon" key

{1A9BA3A0-143A-11CF-8350-444553540000} - Favorites
{2559a1f0-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0} - Search
{2559a1f1-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0} - Help and Support
{2559a1f3-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0} - Run...
{7007ACC7-3202-11D1-AAD2-00805FC1270E} - Network Connections
{D20EA4E1-3957-11d2-A40B-0C5020524153} - Administrative Tools

put my new icon path in there

eg (c:\myicons\icon.ico,0)

changed it back to the original. didnt do anything.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdawgintown