[Rumors] Intel iBooks

muzikool

Act your wage.
Political Access
The MacIntel rumors thread was lost in the DB crash, but new iBook rumors have surfaced and so I'm creating this thread specifically for the iBook.

Recent rumors have been pointing at an Intel iBook release in January during MacWorld San Francisco. Aside from the switch to Intel processors, the iBook is expected to be widescreen.

Here is the latest rumor from ThinkSecret:
Apple appears on track to deliver an Intel-based iBook early next year, sources report, and in doing so will replace its long-standing 14.1-inch model with a widescreen 13.3-inch display.

The 13.3-inch widescreen iBook is said to sport a WXGA resolution of 1280x720, serving up about 15 percent more pixels than the current 14.1-inch model. Sources also note that the 12.1-inch model will continue to live on in iBook form factor, but that its days are numbered as a PowerBook configuration. The 12-inch PowerBook was hardly touched with Apple's October revision, seeing only a price drop on the SuperDrive model and the elimination of the Combo drive version.

Here is a previous ThinkSecret story from November:
Apple is planning to release its first entry-level iBook laptops with Intel processors next January at Macworld Expo in San Francisco, highly reliable sources have confirmed to Think Secret.

It is not known exactly what processors or price points the new models will debut at, but it is thought Apple will expand the iBook line with one additional model and will lower prices—in some cases possibly $200 or more—to entice current Windows users and prove to the market it will be more competitive with the likes of Dell, Gateway, HP and Sony.

Apple will almost certainly tap Intel's forthcoming Yonah processor for the iBooks, a successor to the company's Pentium M. It is unknown whether Apple will go with a dual-core version of the processor, slated for release in January, or a single-core version, which Intel announced in August would be delivered shortly after the dual-core version. The dual-core Yonah chip could very likely deliver performance greater than Apple's current G4-based PowerBooks.

*drools*

I am really looking forward to seeing what kind of spec the intel macs come out with.
Also glad they are keeping the 12" iBook, and I hope they do so for a very long time. Its the nicest sized laptop I have ever seen.

Geffy said:
Also glad they are keeping the 12" iBook, and I hope they do so for a very long time. Its the nicest sized laptop I have ever seen.

I agree.

Looking more at a Powerbook for my next portable. Though depending on the specs, I might settle for an iBook again :D

I also wanted a PowerBook -- then I got logical and saw that I have a PM G5. I don't need two pro machines. :p

Powerbook! Powerbook! Powerbook! Seriously, what's the point of an Apple laptop if it isn't a Powerbook? :p

Been using just my iBook for a few months now, does everything I could need. Powerbooks just look prettier, run faster and cost more. ;p

WOOT!! iBooks powered by CPU fit for barbeques aka P4s :p

ming said:
WOOT!! iBooks powered by CPU fit for barbeques aka P4s :p
that used to be the rap against amd ming

intel will I think use a cooler more efficient architecture...the m comes to mind

They're not going to be using P4's. The development machines had (64bit) Pentium 4 chips, because they were the most easily available chips which would be suitable for the development platform at the time.

iBooks are more likely to utilise the Yonah chip which is set to debut around January 6th. No one knows if they will be in single or dual core configurations though, as Intel as set to release dual before single.

I'm no Mac expert, but I have heard the Yonah will be dual core for the iBooks

SPeedY_B said:
Been using just my iBook for a few months now, does everything I could need. Powerbooks just look prettier, run faster and cost more. ;p

Exactly. If you're getting a Mac, why not go all out? :D

It would be more logical to put a single core CPU in the iBook offering higher battery life (even though the Yonah has very low power consumption anyway) and offer dual core in the Powerbooks, giving them the power advantage over the "consumer" iBook.

Only time will tell though, we can speculate, gossip and rumour until we run out of breath, only Apple know what's going on :)

Grandmaster said:
Exactly. If you're getting a Mac, why not go all out? :D
If you're getting a Windows machine, why not get Alienware? or one of Dell's new high end gaming machines? .... because it's just not worth it, that's why ;)

It's like asking, why buy an iMac instead of the Quad Core G5 :p

I can speak personally and say Alienware is crud. They are wayyyyyy overpriced, run super DUPER hot, and aren't that fast. They are good for gaming because of the hardware setup and EE CPU possibility, but you pay for the name, the cool casing, and the envy of all your friends :p

I was just making the point of paying more than you need to ;)

And that's a good point, but that is a result of the name recongition some companies have achieved.

eh, I haven't played with the Gen2 XPS, but the Gen 1 was pretty good :)

Nice laptops at least :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back