[Rumor] Apple 42" and 50" Plasma Displays

muzikool

Act your wage.
Political Access
http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/01/20060106171732.shtml

PowerPage.org posts an unusual report claiming that Apple would be releasing 42inch and 50inch Plasma Displays at Macworld San Francisco.

That possibility alone would be quite unusual for Apple, but the report describes that the new plasma displays will be powered by Intel's recently announced Viiv multimedia platform running Mac OS X 10.4.4 for x86 (Intel).

Prices for the displays/computers are reportedly $2599 and $3299.

The report is unusual in that it is written as a story, presumably to hide the source of the information. Of note, ThinkSecret has recently suggested that Apple will be releasing a larger than 30" Cinema Display.

Current Apple Cinema Displays rely on LCD technology -- not Plasma. However, throughout the industry, 42" is typically where the Plasma sets start, while LCD's become significantly more expensive at these larger sizes.

Meanwhile, there have been ongoing reports of a Viiv-Apple connection.

Oh. Ehm. Gee.

I can't even imagine what it would feel like to work on such a huge display. :p

There are 50 inch plasmas already out there. I guess this is designed specifically for Apple comps?

Mastershakes said:
There are 50 inch plasmas already out there. I guess this is designed specifically for Apple comps?

"but the report describes that the new plasma displays will be powered by Intel's recently announced Viiv multimedia platform running Mac OS X 10.4.4 for x86 (Intel)."

The computer is built-in.

Wouldn't a 50" display tip over the liittle computer, that acts as the base?:laugh:

I can't really see it happening. The Mac Mini has already proven a capable machine for hooking up in the lounge, it's small, silent and can utilise wireless keyboard/mouse. Plasma's aren't exactly well known for offering high resolution, and burn in is still an issue, which is no good when using an OS which displays a static white bar at the top of the screen.

I'm just waiting on Intel based iBooks, they may not even see light of day for months to come though, rumours are always plentiful around this time.

The keynote begins around 9am PST on Tuesday I believe, which if I have my time zones right is about 6am wednesday morning for me.... i hate timezones :p

Lol, apple is trying to be like Dell now that Dell has encroached on its display quality :D

falconguard said:
Wouldn't a 50" display tip over the liittle computer, that acts as the base?:laugh:
comes complete with 12 inch rivets to mount it to your desk :p

Sazar said:
Lol, apple is trying to be like Dell now that Dell has encroached on its display quality :D

Yeah I was thinking the same thing.

I also doubt that the plasma rumor is true. I just posted it because it's out there. If Apple were to go with something like this, I doubt they'd choose plasma.

Plasma's have a problem with burn-in of static images. Not exactly conducive to computer use.

SpiceWare said:
Plasma's have a problem with burn-in of static images. Not exactly conducive to computer use.

This is true, and LCD's can experience burn-in as well.

I'm glad that this rumor turned out to be false. As cool as it would be to have a Mac built-in to a huge display, plasma isn't the way to go.

SpiceWare said:

Screensaver - set to kick in after 20 minutes. :lick:

muzikool said:
This is true, and LCD's can experience burn-in as well.

I'm glad that this rumor turned out to be false. As cool as it would be to have a Mac built-in to a huge display, plasma isn't the way to go.

LCD's might have burn in, but let them sit for a day without power, and it will be gone. It is also not that big of a problem if one just turns it off when it is not needed, however plasma still has a faster burnin than LCD.

Not to mention that todays plasmas have very little burn in when compared to the first few generations of plasmas... a plasma needs to have a VERY static picture with the plasma being left on for hours upon hours to even begin to see the first stages of burn-in....

many of the nice plasmas have a life expectancy of 60,000 hours...

not to shabby when you consider the price point for a 60" plasma is still as cheap or cheaper than a 37" LCD

:)

mlakrid said:
Not to mention that todays plasmas have very little burn in when compared to the first few generations of plasmas... a plasma needs to have a VERY static picture with the plasma being left on for hours upon hours to even begin to see the first stages of burn-in....

many of the nice plasmas have a life expectancy of 60,000 hours...

not to shabby when you consider the price point for a 60" plasma is still as cheap or cheaper than a 37" LCD

:)

So my screensaver suggestion would hold then mlakrid?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back