Router Wiring Setup

JJB6486

Retired Mod
Political Access
Will this setup work? Due to space constraints, I cant put the router next to the modem, and cannot run another line. Is it possible to plug both the router LAN and WAN interfaces, cable modem ethernet port, and the comptuers into the same hub? So that the router uses the same hub to route Modem<->Router<->LAN. All IPs are static (WAN and LAN).

Please don't reply with other ways to do it (due to space constraint, there are no other options), just whether that will work or not

network.jpg

I need to put a router in a different room then the modem, with only one cable going to that other room. I cannot move the modem, put the router in the same room as the modem, or run a second cable to the other room. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place :confused:

JJB

simply replace the first hub with the router and put the hub near the router and then conect all the way you wanted and it has to work ;)

It will probably work, but it's WRONG(tm)*. Like Aldifriek said, can't you cram the router in where the hub is?

*The reason is that internal (192.168.*.*) traffic will (or can at least) make it's way out on the net. There should be no 192.168.*.* addresses present on the net. Ever.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back