Router vs. Access Point

B

barch97

I'm considering going wireless with my home network. I'm having a little difficulty identifying the difference between a router and an access point. At first I suspected that they were merely two terms for the same product. But, as you can tell from the links to D-Link's product info, that is not the case. I mean if they were just the same thing with two people calling them two differnet names, why would D-Link have two different models, right? So, there must be something different about them.

As far as I can tell the access point does everything that the router does and more. How much more could it really do though for only eleven cents more?

So, I guess my question is... Is it really worth the 11 cents? Will the Access Point do (as I suspect) everything the Router will? Even if I don't need all of the features of the AP, would it be worth my while to go ahead and pay an extra 11 cents? Or, might I be misreading the available information and putting myself at a disadvantage by purchasing the AP instead of the Router?

No a wireless access point will not do everything a router will.

A wireless access point will connect to another network device such as a switch and provide wireless clients access to the LAN.

A router comes with a switch side and WAN capability so you can connect it to your broadband connection and provide all clients internet access and wireless roaming using the one device.

If you have a router (or no broadband connection) or existing LAN infrastructure all you need is a wireless access point.

So, an access point will be of no help in sharing an internet connection?

Nope, you would need a router to share the connection or use another System to do Internet Connection Sharing.

A router is the best buy :)

That reminds me, while we're on the subject of wireless networking. I've heard more than a few people suggest that cordless RF devices (such as telephones) can and almost always do interfere with network transmission. How common is this? And, how big a problem is it? I mean will I not be able to transfer files or share printers or maintain an internet connection while a cordless telephone is in use? And, how severe is the impact? Will I become disconnected entirely or will I merely lose bits of data?

I have never heard that ;) I cant see it interfering in any major way if at all.

I have heard of it. 802.11b works on the 2.4 GHz band so any cordless phones on that same band have the potental to cause interferance.

There was something I read about a business where all the printers would spout out white paper everyday at closing time. It turned out to be the motor in the gates at the company parking garage, which emitted at the 2.4GHz freq and so set all the printers (which were wireless) to print nothing :p

I think they have fixed the stupid things like that now though

Aren't the WiFi devices transmitting digital signals rather than the analogue signals? If so, how would you get intereference?

Barch97: you can add an access point to a router if you want to connect a second device to share your network :)
for example a friend popping over with his/her laptop that has wireless LAN on it.

Originally posted by ming
Aren't the WiFi devices transmitting digital signals rather than the analogue signals? If so, how would you get intereference?
"The world is analogue." There will be interference regardless if the signal is analogue or digital. The effect of getting "strange data" is low (since it's a digital signal), but gettin broken or garbled data is more likely.

The 802.11b works in the 2.4GHz band which, afaik, is a free band used by most wireless gadgets, plus your microwave. So hell yes, pretty much any wireless device will interfere, the question is how much. The effects can be slower throughput, lost connections or blackouts.

A workaround is to get 802.11a, which works in the 5GHz band, where there is less disturbance. This band, however, is more sensitive to obstructing objects.

I'm hear quite a variety of opinion here but, no one seems to be speaking from first hand experience. I appreciate the input. You've all been helpful but, I guess I gotta go buy it to find out if it's gonna work me, huh?

well i have wifi, hace cordless phones on 2.4ghz frecuency, also have few more things thatas run in 2.4 and i havent found any problem at all......i f u have broadband check that your cable modem or dsl modem isnt a router too, if it is a router you just buy the AC.......my dsl modem is router and its has wifi too

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back