Router to Router

Kacey2877

OSNN Junior Addict
Hi All :p

I'm dropping the idea for an ftp site , been there done that! ;)
Now what i would like to know if possible.Is there is anyway to connect to my friends house through router to router . I am aware of VPN but not quite sure. I would like to have a direct network to my friends house like wan to wan.On a small like intrenet.Is there certain software i would need?What would the quickest way to tranfer files and access his network? :confused:

Any help much appreciated :D
thanks

PS. I'm using WINXP SP2 Belkin Router 1.5meg broadband.
Friends) WINXP SP2 Belkin router 3.0meg broadband.

Right ive connect to my friends server through VPN . Right I am the client, but we are having a problem mapping network drives. I understand i have to go to my computer right click and Map Network Drives , OK. Now im putting in
\\kellogs\\d and not finding nothing. I am supposed to put in , instead of the letter 'd' a NETid but we don't no what his net,id is. :confused:
I'm tearing the hairs out my a.s
Could anyone help to map network drives please.
PS when im connected to VPN as client i cannot access the internet is that normal?
Sorry to be stupid but it comes natural :D

make sure that your friend has enabled "file and print sharing" over the VPN connection.

i've never done an over-the-internet VPN before...so i don't know whether or not you should still be able to access the internet :)

OK. Update. I'm still connected to his computer also im accessing the internet through his pc at the moment.Now i can ping his server machine.
But still cant map drives. We are both behind routers. We both got File and print sharing enabled .
MMMMM still very confused.

what happens when you type \\IP in the Run box?

where IP is the IP of his server.

Came up with Network path not found, very strange because im still connect through VPN and still using the internet through his server , also ive just accessed his router info page.

:rolleyes:

are you absolutely positive file/print sharing is enabled on the VPN connection? (not just the local area connection)

Me too :confused:
thanks for your help though i'm still looking on google for the answer.

Stupid suggestion. Have you tried manually sharing Files / Folders?

Also, are you sure ports have been properly opened/routed?

Just a couple of things that came to mind :)

I'm not sure if you're still doing this - but SP2 requires a hotfix for VPN to work, see KB884020

Mainframeguy said:
I'm not sure if you're still doing this - but SP2 requires a hotfix for VPN to work, see KB884020
KB884020 doesn't contain the word "VPN"

and in fact, i've had no problems hosting or connecting to a VPN with my machine running SP2.

cpugeniusmv said:
...i've had no problems hosting or connecting to a VPN with my machine running SP2.

Interesting, I still cannot connect to my company VPN now I am on SP2 - I did get that hotfix and applied it, which gave me a little more success insofar as I could get a TN3270 screen to download, but when I tried to send back my login it times out still....

I do not suppose you had to configure anything with SP2? Windering what my issue could be - have even tried with firewall completely disabled (I am behind router) and still no success.... any help appreciated.

[EDIT] I have ZERO problem CONNECTING to the VPN, it is making any use of that connection that fails, IE my TN3270 or OUTLOOK - and I have tried adding them to the exceptions list of programs for the firewall too. [/EDIT]
PS I realise the hotfix did not mention VPN but it can be relevant I believe depending on how the VPN server works.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back