Router isnt dividing my bandwidth right

• Thread starter PlagueWielder
  • Start date
P

PlagueWielder

Hey
I have a 768Kb connection and a D-LINK DI 704 P router with 4 computers connected in a network. I have 2 computers constantly downloading from kazaa, and 2 other computers that only surf but not a lot.

The problem is that the 2 computers that use kazaa are not getting the same bandwidth, my computer gets arououd 15 and my brother's computer is geting 25+. I used the QoS tweak on my computer - can that cause anything bad??

And also, how come we dont get about 30-40 each on each computer??

And yes I did check and I downloaded from people with 4xxx+ in the bandwidth tab in kazaa.

Thanks

First... there is no such thing as a QoS tweak.
Second... The router job is not to split the bandwidth between the computers. It's job is to share the connection to multiple PC's.

RP is right... The router doesnt equally share the connection.

I am willing ot guess that your brothers machine is a newer, more faster machine? If so, it is just grabbing more of the connection than you

Also, Kazaa has to be the worst way of determining bandwidth usage. It goes up and down and side to side all the time. Just dont use it to determine whether of not you are getting a good connection. Try going to a major web site and downloading something (like thematrix.com and download the trailor) or doing a speed test at www.broadbandreports.com.

actually my brother's pc is 200 Mhz slower than mine but he has 32MB more on his 3d card.

Yeah I kind of get that effect too. My brother can't utilize as much as I can mostly. Don't know why it happens. Feels like we'll have to live with it.

skazzyuk:When you say limit bandwidth do you mean you dont want to go over 20GBs a month or you dont want to go over 20KB/s?

SmokingWeed3000: It could be something as simple as a more effecient NIC in your bros machine. The way that the computers take the internet form your router is a 'best effort' mechanism. Whatever computer gives the best effort gets the bandwidth. In other words, there isnt much you can do about it.

QoS is used on a network and distrubutes resources (bandwidth) to applications. I can be used to make sure that mission-critical apps can get the network bandwidth they need within an accepable time. It isnt really to be used for dividing your connection equally.

Originally posted by loque
QoS is used on a network and distrubutes resources (bandwidth) to applications. I can be used to make sure that mission-critical apps can get the network bandwidth they need within an accepable time. It isnt really to be used for dividing your connection equally.
Plus it's not used at all as long as you are not connected to a domain with a QoS enabled Win2k domain server.

I mean like is there any software or hardware that can limit a bandwidth to each computer, I only have 4 machines on my network, 1 being the server.

I get ADSL next month, and will only wanna give me bro like 10 or 15kb connection, cos he only plays EQ which requires like 3 to 6k to run efficiently

any ideas?

Skazz

Yes, a Win2k domain server. Or a linux server used as a router (special config).

Other than that, no not any I've heard of.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back