Router drops connection?

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi Guys,

I have a Linksys wireless router (W54g). I am wondering if anyone has ever heard about router dropping the connection (internet, network) for a split second then reconnect.

I am trying to figure out why my network is experiencing this problem.

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

Mine does it all to often anymore (time for a new one). Iv noticed powering it down solves the problem for a few days.

Would it mean that it's dying? This is how router show that they are on their last legs?

I did put the latest firmware revision in, and it is still doing it.

Thanks for response, VenomXT

Heeter

Yeah, I've heard of it... Not linksys routers, but sometimes this happened when the devices weren't syncing up properly. AKA one side was set to half duplex, and the other to full...

There's too much which is comming up on a search of this for you (such as effects of this on a routing protocol, which you wouldn't really care about), but some sites suggest that with interfaces that keep switching between an up and a down state, to check for faulty cabling, or termination problems as well...

I did check those settings on the network cards and they are all on auto-negotiate.

I would say that I never had such a dilemma with my previous router (BEFRS41, Linksys), but a switched 8 months ago to this one to accomodate my laptop.

I sold the other one so I cannot test to see if it is the router. I am 99.9% sure that it's not faulty cabling.

Might just go return this one and get another one.

Heeter

Yeah, if the device was recently purchased, it might be a good idea to return it. If the problem persists with a new router however, then it might be time to look at some of these other possibilities.

BTW, sometimes auto-negotiation doesn't negotiate in the same setting on both sides. It's typically worked, but I've seen the ocassion where, well stuff happens... If you know what the other side of the interface should be, hard coding it as such might help isolate such a possibility. A router to NIC should be capable of full duplex (if you can set it as such on both ends of the interface). A spec sheet on your router might give some more info on that. Of course hubs (though you hadn't mentioned one in your setup) are only capable of half duplex...

I did recently put a hub in the network because of a network printer install, but this problem has been around before the hub install.

I will change to Full Duplex to see maybe that will help, but a new router will be put in.

Any other ideas?

Heeter

Heeter said:
I did recently put a hub in the network because of a network printer install, but this problem has been around before the hub install.

I will change to Full Duplex to see maybe that will help, but a new router will be put in.

Any other ideas?

Heeter

Actually, if you leave the hub in, switch both ends to half duplex. Reason is a hub basically takes a signal it receives on one port, then replicates it over to all other ports. 2 way communication (ala full duplex) is impossible on a hub.

If you want to use full duplex, you need to either go from NIC to router (assuming your router can, as I'm assuming handle full duplex), else you need to replace the hub with a switch. In which case, the switch ports should be made to match the duplex setting (if auto-negotiation isn't working as expected) of the device at the other end of the same cable...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back