Router Bandwidth Limiting

O

oxy

Hey, does anyone here know if you can limit bandwidth with a router? (I have a linksys BEFSR41 (version 2). I have 2 computers on a network and I want to be able to share files on kazaa and let my brother play multiplayer games at the same time.
I would also be willing to use a program that limits the amount of bandwidth a computer can put out.. (if anyone knows of any)

couldnt you limit the bandwidth u use on kazaa itself? never used kazaa myself but other p2p programs i used i could limit bandwidth that way........i would limit one upload at a time and set upload speed to somethin really low......

Yeah, but the slowest rate on kazaa it like 30kb/s, which is my whole bandwidth, so it really wouldn't do anything.

30kb/s?? are u on 56k?

i would just disable file sharing then

is your cable rated at 30kb upload? weird...mines rated at 384kbps...but usually avg 128~200

my dl rated at 2000kbps

but i keep forgetting which is greater or what is what..lol

kbps=kb/s?

oh well sorry if i didnt help any.....:(

....just turn of sharing:p ......i like to do my part in sharing but if it screws up my speed too much.... then oh well i turn it off

btw im usin bearshare.....i limiting my uploads to 8kbps and 1 upload at a time

I was just rounding like P2P and IE does... technically (according to the speed test I just took) I get 3163 up / 115 down.. ANYWAY back to limiting bandwidth on the computers.. lol

And the answer is: Nope, sorry!

But it seems like a widely wanted feature...

You don't know of any third party programs out there that limit the bandwidth on a computer? I was using an IRC fserve and it limited my bandwidth quite well, however I would like to do this on the whole PC.
Wrack your brains people! Work with me! :D

Some of the better software firewalls may be able to do this. However I don't know if they can limit the bandwith for the computer as a whole.

You can limit bandwidth on any computer in your LAN, if you know how to limit MSS and RWIN properly.
Most good routers also allow you to specify bandwidth restrictions per port, or per device.

i know you can limit bandwidth using a linux server...

There is no easy or simple way to do it. The RWIN and MSS route mentioned above would be your only out, and it's not a simple process and would be difficult (or at least time consuming) to fix later on. No flick of the switch sort of control with that.

Originally posted by reboot

Most good routers also allow you to specify bandwidth restrictions per port, or per device.

A consumer level router is not going to have this feature.

SOHO routers, Cable/DSL routers, Home Network Routers/Firewalls. Basically anything with 4 ports, NAT and DHCP. :)

As opposed to "real" routers, expensive things.

Originally posted by reboot
lol, define "consumer level"...;)

Consumer Level: Something cheaper than the cost of any three PCs running within the network.

Good 'nuff? ;)

Originally posted by oxy
You don't know of any third party programs out there that limit the bandwidth on a computer? I was using an IRC fserve and it limited my bandwidth quite well, however I would like to do this on the whole PC.
Wrack your brains people! Work with me! :D

"Why are we looking outside the box. Look in the box, be part of the box, be one with the box...."

Yea, sorry, saw that on a TV show and thought it was funny. ;)

Anyways, let's activate the dreaded 'QOS Packet Secheduler' to limit your bandwidth. I am sure you can play with it and figure it out. You might have to reinstall it if you already took it off of your system. Got a snippet off of a web site on how to turn the QOS off--so just do the same and change the 0% to 50%~80%.

Here ya go good luck and enjoy..... (PS-XP/2K only!)

Tip 3 - Unlock XP's Network Restrictions.

Yes, for some strange reason Windows XP restricts your computer to 20% bandwidth by default, even if you are the only person using the internet at your location! The good news is that its not really that hard to tell windows to crank up to 100%, giving your uploads and downloads a bit of a boost.

Here's how it's done...

Click Start / Run...

type gpedit.msc in the window that appears then press Enter.

In the new window goto Local Computer Policy / Administrative Templates / Network / QoS Packet Scheduler.

Double click on Limit Reservable Bandwith.

Click on the Enable option and change the bandwidth limit to 0%.

Now click on all the OK's etc. then restart the computer and you're done.

Congratulations! You just stumbled over one of the more popular XP myths. Tinkering with QoS won't do you any good since it's not used unless you are part of a domain with a W2k domain controller with QoS enabled. And if you are at home, you are not.

Sorry to break your stride, but this one is a dead end. I'm afraid there are no easy ways to limit bandwidth on a computer (yet).

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back