Roaming Profile error message when logging onto computer not on network

Punkrulz

Somewhat eXPerienced
Hey guys,

Work has given me a laptop to use while I'm with the company. However, when my boss created my account, he forgot to setup any scripts when I login to the domain. That was fixed two days ago, and since then I am now receiving these error messages when I login to the computer not on the company's domain.

Windows cannot locate the server copy of your roaming profile and is attempting to log you on with your local profile. Changes to the profile will not be copied to the server when you logoff. Possible causes of this error include network problems or insufficient security rights. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.

Now I already know that when I'm not on the company's domain, my roaming profile will not be saved / found. I must also add that this occurs as soon as I login, and has a 30 second time count-down until the window will close. Now I login to my computer when it says XP, so I'm using the same profile on & off the network... is there anyway to make this message not come up anymore?

I would say try changin it to a local profile, right click on "my computer", thengo into the user profiles tab, then double click your name and change that to "local"

I think I know what this is - pretty sure work is using domain rather than workgroup based networking - try switching....

oh yeah and a friend of mine CLAIMED they fixed this once with a CHKDSK, but I never believed them!

Punkrulz said:
Hey guys,

Work has given me a laptop to use while I'm with the company. However, when my boss created my account, he forgot to setup any scripts when I login to the domain.

First, do you know any information or can you provide insight as to which type of scripts they are running for you? This may help point in the right direction. I would be assuming that you were able to logon locally previously, and were able to do so without a problem.

Punkrulz said:
That was fixed two days ago, and since then I am now receiving these error messages when I login to the computer not on the company's domain.

Was your profile "roaming" before these scripts were applied? Only reason why I ask is because they might force it down on the "computer configuration" section of the GPO. This script could call those settings, and force each computer to be configured for roaming profiles. Since "computer configuration" settings are loaded by your OS after first inheritance before the login screen, this would be a problem. I really hope that wouldn't be used, unless your company doesn't use many laptops. Even then it would be poor future planning.

Punkrulz said:
Now I already know that when I'm not on the company's domain, my roaming profile will not be saved / found. I must also add that this occurs as soon as I login, and has a 30 second time count-down until the window will close. Now I login to my computer when it says XP, so I'm using the same profile on & off the network... is there anyway to make this message not come up anymore?

It sounds to me, from this section of your post, that they are allowing you to use a "cached" login. The bonus to this, is that you would be able to use My Documents in both profile locations, and they sync when you are back on the network. If you are an administrator on your laptop, which some companies don't do, you can create yourself a local account.

You would do this by right click my computer, select Manage. Then, go to Local Users and Groups. Right click in the open area on the right, select new user. Give yourself a local account, set a password. Then, select the groups folder. Double-click Administrators, and add the local account you just created. To do that, you would click on the "Add" button, and then browse for your account.

Good luck, and post back with progress/questions.

good call, find out what kind of scripts you are running. They might only be drive mappings but can be others.

kcnychief said:
First, do you know any information or can you provide insight as to which type of scripts they are running for you? This may help point in the right direction. I would be assuming that you were able to logon locally previously, and were able to do so without a problem.

Was your profile "roaming" before these scripts were applied? Only reason why I ask is because they might force it down on the "computer configuration" section of the GPO. This script could call those settings, and force each computer to be configured for roaming profiles. Since "computer configuration" settings are loaded by your OS after first inheritance before the login screen, this would be a problem. I really hope that wouldn't be used, unless your company doesn't use many laptops. Even then it would be poor future planning.

It sounds to me, from this section of your post, that they are allowing you to use a "cached" login. The bonus to this, is that you would be able to use My Documents in both profile locations, and they sync when you are back on the network. If you are an administrator on your laptop, which some companies don't do, you can create yourself a local account.

You would do this by right click my computer, select Manage. Then, go to Local Users and Groups. Right click in the open area on the right, select new user. Give yourself a local account, set a password. Then, select the groups folder. Double-click Administrators, and add the local account you just created. To do that, you would click on the "Add" button, and then browse for your account.

Good luck, and post back with progress/questions.

Script wise I know for the most part they are drive mappings, however the admin explained at one point to try and not keep files in your My Documents folder for the fact that you will be able to use whatever is in your My Documents folder on that login.

I am still able to login locally without any problems. I am an administrator of this laptop not by direct accounts but by a group account called domain users. And yes, my computer is setup as logging in on a domain.

Punkrulz said:
Script wise I know for the most part they are drive mappings, however the admin explained at one point to try and not keep files in your My Documents folder for the fact that you will be able to use whatever is in your My Documents folder on that login.

I am still able to login locally without any problems. I am an administrator of this laptop not by direct accounts but by a group account called domain users. And yes, my computer is setup as logging in on a domain.

Something is off if your laptop is still trying to pull down your roaming profile when you are logging in locally. Unfortunately, since with a Domain there is so much involved, it is probably best to ask your Admin. They would know more about the exact setup of how things are going there, the tips I provided above were general, whereas you might need "environment-specific" guidelines.

Punkrulz said:
Hey guys,

Work has given me a laptop to use while I'm with the company. However, when my boss created my account, he forgot to setup any scripts when I login to the domain. That was fixed two days ago, and since then I am now receiving these error messages when I login to the computer not on the company's domain.

please

When you log onto a domain whith roaming profiles setup it copies your login from the server and runs login scrips which I assume are on the server. If you're not connected to the network windows will use a "cached" logon using a locally stored copy of your profile (as mentioned earlier) and probably won't run the scrips (but then if they are for network drive mapping you would just get error messages if it did run).

Windows will display the error message you said unless your profile is set to default to a local profile and I don't think there is any other way of stopping it. I guess it's there so that if you are connected to a network and the message comes up you know something is wrong.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back