Ripping HDDVD/Blu-Ray without Drive

N

Not Bman

I have a HDDVD movie (300) and I want to rip it to the hard drive. I want to do this because I don't have my blu-ray/hddvd drive yet. Is there away I can do this?

Also, I have DVDFab Platinum, is DVDFab HD Decrypter a different program or the same one? Cause DVDFab Platinum wasen't free but HD one is?... Confusing.

I don't know about HD-DVD, but I know it's definitely not possible to do it with BluRay discs if you haven't got a BluRay drive.

Then I'd assume HDDVD the same.

Those programs I listed can't read the information even without the drive. How does it work anyways lol

Bman, have you tried playing your HD-DVD or Blu-Ray disc in your regular DVD player? Does it work?

:smoker:

If it did I would not see why anyone would need to buy a hd dvd player or a blu ray player ....

DVDFab HD Decrypter does like the old no longer updated etc DVD Decrypter on regualer DVD's not sure about hi-def versions if it works with them or not.

DVDFab Platinum is along the lines of the old DVDXCopy from 321 studio's. Again I'm not sure if it would work on hi-def formats and unless you have a drive to read the disc then your outta luck

What about Blu-ray rips from the ps3 to my pc via usb? Can you take a blu-ray rip and shrink it to a dvd9?

Slysoft AnyDVD has HD and BR support. I've been doing that for a while now. The biggest setback is that HD movies take up 25GB per movie on the hard drive.

The HD in DVDFab HD Decrypter is misnomer due to its very limited if not completely missing functionality in this department.

DVDFab HD Decrypter hasn't worked on HD-DVDs or BluRay discs since MKBv4 was released in terms of AACS. DVDFab HD Decrypter only handled up to MKBv3. At present MKBv7 is being used. I believe some older discs may still be handled but I don't know if anyone knows how many. The Host Private Key used by the software has to be invalid at this point. I also have to believe that under any Windows OS below Vista you would also need to install the UDF 2.5/2.6 drivers since only Vista has native support. DVDFab HD Decrypter doesn't contain any internal support for UDF 2.5/2.6. There is also no support for BD+ in terms of BluRay discs.

AnyDVD HD does not require any UDF 2.5/2.6 drivers since it does that work itself internally. It will read and rip the HD-DVD or BluRay disc. You just won't be able to view the contents on the actual disc via Explorer without either running Vista or installing the UDF 2.5/2.6 drivers under XP. AnyDVD HD supports all the AACS versions that have been released and handles BD+.

There is absolutely no way to read a BluRay or HD-DVD disc in a standard DVD drive/player. Either an external drive like an XBox360 HD-DVD drive is needed or some other form of HD-DVD or BluRay drive to read the applicable disc.

Last edited:
There is absolutely no way to read a BluRay or HD-DVD disc in a standard DVD drive/player. Either an external drive like an XBox360 HD-DVD drive is needed or some other form of HD-DVD or BluRay drive to read the applicable disc.

I believe cookies are in order for answering the question bman posted in the first place. :)

I believe cookies are in order for answering the question bman posted in the first place. :)

Thanks. :)

Being more awake now I see that I could have answered another more simple question, as well.

DVDFab HD Decrypter is the new name of the freeware version that used to simply be called DVDFab Decrypter which shouldn't be confused with DVD Decrypter created by LIGHTNING UK! who is the author of ImgBurn. The name of DVDFab Decrypter was changed somewhere around v3.0.9.6. For DVDFab Gold and DVDFab Platinum the name was not changed.

Last edited:
What about Blu-ray rips from the ps3 to my pc via usb? Can you take a blu-ray rip and shrink it to a dvd9?
You can rip Blu-rays from the ps3 to a pc via a router. I suggest not trying this wirelessly as it will be much slower. You can install a program called sak 1.0. It is an otheros program that can rip Blu-rays to your windows network share.

About shrinking it, the only way to do that is to re-encode it after you've dled the blu to your hard-drive and decrypted it. The file size is going to be huge before a re-encode, 25 or 50 gb. Of course with re-encoding you will lose quality though.

About shrinking it, the only way to do that is to re-encode it after you've dled the blu to your hard-drive and decrypted it. The file size is going to be huge before a re-encode, 25 or 50 gb. Of course with re-encoding you will lose quality though.

Or you can use eac3to and tsMuxeR to only rip the main movie. This can greatly reduce the size and result in numerous < 20 GB results.

Re-encoding can work with something like RipBot264 and the results can be fairly interesting. Or you can really lose quality and use something like ConvertXtoDVD which will compress it and make it playable on a standard DVD player. You'll lose all the special features from the original BluRay though.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back