Right on red?

celticfan11

OSNN Senior Addict
So i got to many speeding tickets nad had to goto driver retraining. Which is a 4 hour class that teaches you how to NOT get anymore tickets. I learned a few things and 1 thing i learned was not all states allow a right on red turn. If you do not know what it is here is an example.

You come to a 4 way intersection. You have a red light, and you want to turn right. You can do so as long as the coast is clear, and as long as you are in teh right lane, without waiting for the green light. I just figured this would be legal everywhere, but it isnt.

Is this legal where you guys live?

PS: I live in Connecticut.

From my experience, they can't tag you if there isn't a sign. Anywhere that you can't do it, in a dangerous intersection for example, there has to be a sign saying "no right on red".

kcnychief said:
From my experience, they can't tag you if there isn't a sign. Anywhere that you can't do it, in a dangerous intersection for example, there has to be a sign saying "no right on red".

incorrect. The teacher of the driver retraining class got a warning in Manhatten for running a red light, when she went right on red. When she asked what she did the cop said you blew a red light, she said no i didnt i went right on red, and the cop started laughing at her saying this isnt a law here. knowing this is a law in CT the cop let her off with a warning though.

celticfan11 said:
incorrect. The teacher of the driver retraining class got a warning in Manhatten for running a red light, when she went right on red. When she asked what she did the cop said you blew a red light, she said no i didnt i went right on red, and the cop started laughing at her saying this isnt a law here. knowing this is a law in CT the cop let her off with a warning though.

WICKED stupid, but good that she got off on a warning. Is it our responsibility to learn the laws of each state we VISIT, let alone live in? Sheesh!

Its legal here in CA, sometimes its all you can do to get out of traffic

no kidding, as far as I kno its legal in Canada. At least Ontario.

I tooka road trip out wes and didnt run into any problems with that out there. But then again cops were scarce, but we did drive by some police stations.

NYC does not allow such unless there is a sign. Ultra points if you do that, especially in a crowded area.

On a lighter side; I have a funny ticket story, don't read if if you're eating or drinking. Last year I was pulled over Upstate NY for going 20 over on a rural road. The officer asked me why I was going so fast and I told him ( the truth ) that I had to pee and home was a few minutes away. He basically said - so why couldn't you pull over and p!ss. So I asked him if I could since paper work was going to take a while - and so I did for a minute if not more, which is a long while. When I was done, I walked to the partrol car and he says with a funny face " goddamn son, goddamn! " Laughed and let me off with a warning.

Nick M said:
NYC does not allow such unless there is a sign. Ultra points if you do that, especially in a crowded area.

On a lighter side; I have a funny ticket story, don't read if if you're eating or drinking. Last year I was pulled over Upstate NY for going 20 over on a rural road. The officer asked me why I was going so fast and I told him ( the truth ) that I had to pee and home was a few minutes away. He basically said - so why couldn't you pull over and p!ss. So I asked him if I could since paper work was going to take a while - and so I did for a minute if not more, which is a long while. When I was done, I walked to the partrol car and he says with a funny face " goddamn son, goddamn! " Laughed and let me off with a warning.

Yeah, Bladders tend to get you in trouble. My Fiance was driving home one night, was about 15 mins from home when she pulled into a gas station at like 11:58. They closed at 12:00 MIDNIGHT and like any other place, closed early. So she got out of her car, ran to the door and tried to open it only to find it was locked. She saw the clerk, banged on the door jumping up and down and was told to leave. The clerk called the cops, they pulled her over not even a mile down the road. LOL

They thought she was going to rob the place.

It's legal in Texas. They told us in drivers ed here that not all states allow this so we should watch out.

It's legal here in PA as long as there's no sign saying "No turn on red" and you come to a complete stop before turning.

legal in saudi. but then again most everything is

I've lived in 3 states in my life. New Jersey, Maine, and now New Mexico. It's been legal in all 3 states.

You guys want to hear a real funny cop story? My tia chi teacher (the senior of the 2) and a former student of his got pulled over by the cops. The former student was armed to the hilt with ninja stars, knives, and the like :laugh:

So, against the teacher's better judgement, the person got out of the car :eek: Charley was telling him "no, no, don't..." but too late. The cop made him stand very far away from the vehicle, in the middle of the road practically.

So he went and asked Charley if he was armed. I asked (upon hearing this), if he told the cop his body is a weapon (which in his case wouldn't be an exageration)? :laugh:

He said, no he hadn't got that far. He told the cop he had a cain and a fan in the back seat... (Yes, there is a weapon's form that employes a fan...) They were plainly visable, and of course didn't look like dangerious weapons (certainly not to someone who hasn't been practicing the martial arts).

At this point the cop was so put out and didn't know what to say; he ended up forgetting why he pulled them over. It was like "go, just please, go..." :laugh:

Here in the great state of Michigan its legal all the way except when there is sign posted saying no no.

We also have a thing call the Michigan U-turn. If I remember right its the whole state that has this kind of u-turn.

It's legal in PA, unless a sign says other wise .. It is also legal to make a left hand turn on red, as long as the street is a one way street going to the left .. Always seems to be a catch huh ??

I had to take one of those classes also, it was for getting three tickets in a three days. The thing that sucked though is that two of them were going two miles over the speed limit. I told the cops it must be the end of the month for them, having to get their quotas. They need the extra money for the donuts and Orange juice, I even offered to buy one of the cops a cup of OJ and a Dunkin Donut, he didn't like that lol ..

celticfan11 said:
Is this legal where you guys live?

PS: I live in Connecticut.

In NY there is right on red as long as there is not a sign posted saying can't. I believe in NJ you can't go right on red.

rotjong

Its in no way ever legal in the UK, so don't try it! :) (although I suppose the equivalent would be turn left on red - which you can't do either)

I have driven in the States and I must say I found the turn right on red to be awesome! saves so much time and convenience (sometimes)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back