Right on red?

Yeah, such a pain really having to wait. Although a few trafiic lights have sensors so they go green if there is no traffic at the other junctions.

rotjong said:
In NY there is right on red as long as there is not a sign posted saying can't. I believe in NJ you can't go right on red.

rotjong

Umm, I grew up in New Jersey (until age 16) and there was right on red there. This was until 1988 at least. I've got quite a few family members who are police in New Jersey, and I haven't heard anything of this changing. I had been there a coupla times visiting...

Johhny said:
I had to take one of those classes also, it was for getting three tickets in a three days. The thing that sucked though is that two of them were going two miles over the speed limit. I told the cops it must be the end of the month for them, having to get their quotas. They need the extra money for the donuts and Orange juice, I even offered to buy one of the cops a cup of OJ and a Dunkin Donut, he didn't like that lol ..

Yes, some depts have ticket quotas. And some have something I heard about when I took crimminal justice many years back, arrest quotas :eek:

Still, 2 miles over the speed limit... Umm, let me put it this way. Several of the cops in my family have indicated they won't get a person for going 2 miles over the speed limit, though 5 miles they will... I seem to remember comment given to the fact that the speedometers on cars aren't perfectly accurate either. So they need a little room so as to not pull people over who are essentially going the speed limit, within a margin of error that might be their speedometer.

That might have been a ticket possible to fight, though it was probably about a $20 ticket (and points on the liscense of course)...

Yeah, it's legal in Texas like Luna said. It's understandable that places like NY with so many pedestrians would make it illegal, though. However, I don't know how you're supposed to know when you're traveling.

U-Turns are legal her and so re right turns on red, unless posted.

I usally run 5-7 over and have never been harassed. But some of our roads are terrible, it feels like your car is going to fall apart.

a right on a red... im pretty sure you have to make a full complete stop, as if it were a stop sign, and then proceed to the far right lane when the coast is clear.

or... if you live by the rule... 'no cop, no stop', then u can burn right thru it

Son Goku said:
Still, 2 miles over the speed limit... Umm, let me put it this way. Several of the cops in my family have indicated they won't get a person for going 2 miles over the speed limit, though 5 miles they will... I seem to remember comment given to the fact that the speedometers on cars aren't perfectly accurate either. So they need a little room so as to not pull people over who are essentially going the speed limit, within a margin of error that might be their speedometer.

That might have been a ticket possible to fight, though it was probably about a $20 ticket (and points on the license of course)...

I was upset about. I didn't fight it though. It would have been me against him, with no witnesses. The cop would have won. One of my best friends is a state trooper down in Georgia. He told me he has pulled people over for going 2 or three miles over the speed limit. They will get into trouble if they don't fill there quotas .. He also told me that he has pulled people over for having a crooked license plate, because of needing to get his quota. So, I know it happens .. The quota means everything. I think this is the reason you see more cops out at the end of the month as apposed to the beginning of the month.

It could also be the reason you see more out during the holidays. They probably get more money for pulling people over during those days, as apposed to a normal day ...

jimi_81 said:
a right on a red... im pretty sure you have to make a full complete stop, as if it were a stop sign, and then proceed to the far right lane when the coast is clear.

or... if you live by the rule... 'no cop, no stop', then u can burn right thru it

The good ole rolling stop. I never come to a fully stop sign. Unless, there is a cop behind me. Or, another car is coming ..

Johnny said:
I was upset about. I didn't fight it though. It would have been me against him, with no witnesses. The cop would have won. One of my best friends is a state trooper down in Georgia. He told me he has pulled people over for going 2 or three miles over the speed limit. They will get into trouble if they don't fill there quotas .. He also told me that he has pulled people over for having a crooked license plate, because of needing to get his quota. So, I know it happens .. The quota means everything. I think this is the reason you see more cops out at the end of the month as apposed to the beginning of the month.

It could also be the reason you see more out during the holidays. They probably get more money for pulling people over during those days, as apposed to a normal day ...

Gets interesting when one gets different cops saying different things. Could also be that soem of the departments in New Jersey operate a bit different.

If one were to argue that according to their speedometer they were going the speed limit and present proof that the instruments to measure this aren't 100% accurate (something I actually heard from a cop); not sure what the judge would say. Probably depend on the judge...

I know if I were the judge and I saw someone come in with (1 mile an hour over the speed limit or so), I'd turn to the cop and say "Are you serious?"... Followed by a "case dismissed" and gavel :D That's me of course, however I see no reason to slap someone legally when for all practical purposes they were following the law, and it's as obvious as can be that there was no intent for wrong doing.

Funny police story though, to consider in comparison. I was driving home one night, was late, not much traffic. Anyhow, I was heading north, and stopped at a red light. A cop was heading south. He then turned into the lane to make a left turn, turned on his police lights, made the turn, and then turned them off again. He then pulled into the lot with the Dunken Donuts and casually walked in.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back