Right Click Menu

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political Access
Hey all,

When I right click on a file and go to "Open With" I get lots of options. Is there anyway I can eliminate them? Right now I've got a bunch of stuff opening with notepad by default cause I didn't realize I had the "always use selected program" option checked. I would really like to have the icons back to normal and some of the options removed if its possible. Thanks in advance.

If you have clicked "always use this program ..", open Folder Options (from Control Panel or Windows Explorer's tool menu) and change to the File Types tab. Find the extension you want to change back and click the "Restore" button.

To remove items from the "open with" context menu open the registry, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts, find your file extension again and in the right pane you'll see entries a, b, c,.. with the values pointing to programs you previously used to open this file type. Right click on any of the letters and choose delete.
For items you can't remove this way you will have to go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.???\OpenWithList (replace ??? with the file extension) and delete any unwanted subkeys.

You can get a little utility from Doug Knox - Clear Open With Lists. This one however will remove all entries for a certain file type, no possibility to select.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back