RIAA gets legal support for file-swap fight

belveder

OSNN Senior Addict
RIAA gets legal support for file-swap fight

John Borland
CNET News.com
August 27, 2003, 11:10 BST

Law professors and copyright organisations have signed up as 'friends of the court' in the RIAA's continuing battle against file-swapping

Hollywood studios and record labels are getting allies in their quest to overturn a court ruling that said file-swapping software companies aren't responsible for the copyright infringement of their users.

Several groups, including a list of legal scholars, international copyright organisations, legal music services and other copyright holder groups filed "friend of the court" briefs on Tuesday, asking that an April ruling upholding the legality of file-swapping services such as Grokster and StreamCast's Morpheus be overturned.

"(T)he district court's misapplication of law, if permitted to stand, will create loopholes in the law...that will frustrate efforts to limit online piracy and serve to encourage and embolden potential infringers of creative works," read the brief submitted by copyright holders ranging from Major League Baseball to the Screen Actors Guild. "If allowed to stand, it would permit companies such as those operated by defendants to misappropriate the royalties meant for copyright holders...to an extent that would be limited only by their technological imagination."

The briefs come as part of a renewed legal battle over the status of file-swapping services such as Morpheus and Kazaa, which were emboldened by federal Judge Stephen Wilson's surprise ruling in April. In that decision, he said file-swapping companies should be compared to VCR makers, which are not responsible for their customers' copyright infringements.

"Grokster and StreamCast are not significantly different from companies that sell home video recorders or copy machines, both of which can be and are used to infringe copyrights," Wilson wrote.

The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), the Motion Picture Association of America, and the National Music Publishers Association collectively appealed that decision earlier this month.

In the meantime, the recording industry has started to seek lawsuits against individual file swappers alongside file-swapping companies, hoping to drive people off the peer-to-peer networks. For nearly two months, the RIAA has been using subpoenas to obtain the identity of "egregious" file swappers from Internet service providers and will file lawsuits beginning next month.

Included in Tuesday's friend-of-the-court briefs were law professors from Harvard University, New York University and other universities; Pressplay, MusicNet, Full Audio and other music services; and international film, music, video and other copyright organisations.

If you're gonna post news and expect us to put it on the front page, should we feel it's front page worthy, include a source

Grokster and StreamCast are not significantly different from companies that sell home video recorders or copy machines, both of which can be and are used to infringe copyrights

DAMN RIGHT!

Also, use the submit news link on the front page... can't say we look in the forums all that much for news to post...

Or are you just trying to up your post count? :p

oops looks like I accidentally posted this in the wrong area, sorry. Instead of getting flamed though it would have been nice for someone just to say that it is in the wrong area and even be kind enough to move it for me. And what good is a post count in a forum like this, it doesn't get you anywhere or anything.

we woulda done, but it was semi news like so we was confused :D

Everyone is fiesty today... Take some Mydol or Pamprin or Prozac or somethin.
Sheeeeeeesh :p

Originally posted by gonaads
Everyone is fiesty today... Take some Mydol or Pamprin or Prozac or somethin.
Sheeeeeeesh :p

Yikes! No kidding. :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back