RIAA Continues Download Lawsuits

L

Lee

Read this via neowin.

WASHINGTON (AP)—The recording industry on Monday sued 493 more people it said were illegally sharing music across the Internet.

The latest round of lawsuits raised to nearly 3,000 the number of people who have been sued nationwide by recording companies.

Find out more:

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1599427,00.asp

gee , I wonder who there looking for? hmmmmmm super nodes? :rolleyes:

I'm waiting for someone to have some cajones and actually go to court with the RIAA.

You can get some warez that will spoof a monitored server, go through like 1000,s of other peoples puters, scan and see if you're getting monitored, also I guess some people for lets say a month totally just download hour after hour till they fill up a large HD of the usual candidates for downloading, mp3's, movies, software etc, then transfer everything to dvd's, high level format their hd's and then hide the evidence.

I think that you're right dreamliner, though I don't condone (c) file sharing, it must be costing more to stop it than the fines imposed. I have not yet read of a user going to court and then saying they aint got a darn clue what the hell they're talking about.

$3,000 fine for downloading stuff worth 100 times the value of the fine seems fruitless for the RIAA.

I will give you an example of how poor it seems. I bought a P!nk cd her last release and on it it had by default a player you have to install to play the music, it won't allow you to play the cd on your puter unless you install this nasty player. Something about piracy was mentioned. I thought o.k., lol then ripped all the music on it to mp3 then wma via easy cd creator's ripping facility, it don't make sense to me all this file sharing or the attempts (lame) to stop people file sharing.

You have msn, yahoo and ne others I don't know about chat apps that allow you to transfer files between chatters, so what is the point in spending millions of dollars on a 3,000$ fine?

The RIAA brought it upon itself. They had everychance to start some kind of online thing before even napster. They didn't think it would take off. Then they blew it again by dismantling napster instead of using it as a tool. Now instead of one "enemy" they can track and use, they have many, many smaller "enemies" that they can't control.

Oh yeah, record sales are down. C'mon, i'm not falling for it. Release more albums (2001, last year with reliable data) was the fewest major releases in a year since sometime in the 50's. Also, get the mastering engineers heads out of their asses and produce some albums that don't sound like they are being played back on a Playskool "My First Record Player"

www.loudnessrace.net

lets be honest ... most of the music out there sux anyway. For every unique band out, there is 50 clones and this all contributes to the poor quality of the music. If you want to take on the RIAA then go for it. I have given up on the music scene because of the promotion of every band as being the best and really there are just one hit wonders at best. Music is only about profits and thats why ppl arent buying it anymore.

I remember when MTV used to play music videos

dreamliner77 said:
The RIAA brought it upon itself. They had everychance to start some kind of online thing before even napster. They didn't think it would take off. Then they blew it again by dismantling napster instead of using it as a tool. Now instead of one "enemy" they can track and use, they have many, many smaller "enemies" that they can't control.

Oh yeah, record sales are down. C'mon, i'm not falling for it. Release more albums (2001, last year with reliable data) was the fewest major releases in a year since sometime in the 50's. Also, get the mastering engineers heads out of their asses and produce some albums that don't sound like they are being played back on a Playskool "My First Record Player"

www.loudnessrace.net
LIke you said, back in the day of napster, napster tried to work out a pay-per-song deal with RIAA, something like $1 per song. But RIAA said no, they wanted $5 per song! Well who the hell is going to pay $5 for 1 song. They also tried to make arrangements to sell custom CD's, CD's with the songs you want on them for about $2 more than a regular CD would cost you in the store. What did RIAA want? $45 - $65 per CD! When the average CD cost is $17 - $25.

RIAA was/is all about trying to make a killing off internet CD sales, and the general public is giving them what they deserve, a BIG middle finger! Untill all the BS with RIAA I would have been happy to pay $1 per song and $18-$20 for a CD with the songs I wanted to listen to. (as most CD's only have 1-4 songs on them that I actually like). But when faced with a money hungry bully that is trying to force me to bend to their will to fill their pockets with my money, I will do everything in my power to avoid it. I DL the music I like and I burn it onto CD's for my listening pleasure.

Does it hurt the artist, yes it does. But I look at it like this, right or wrong, if the artists don't like the fact that they are not making as much money as they should, then they need to fight RIAA for their own rights! They need to stand up and fight for their consumers so their consumers WANT to buy their music.

1) $1 per song is too much. This would possibly be acceptable if they were compressed losslessly (FLAC or Monkey's). Why would I want 128kbps wma files?

2) This is not hurting the artists. They are lucky if they get 4-7% of record sales. From this they must pay back their advances, studio time, managers, promotion etc, etc.

Stupid RIAA... thank god canada has ruled it legal here... I'm just going to flaunt all my music in their faces... then download some more and not even listen to it... bastards...
Maybe if artists just put their money away... its like someone winning the lottery, quitting their job, and blowing all the money at once... maybe if they only got a decent sized house, etc

You may not agree with the recording industry's war on file sharing, but under the Piracy Deterrence and Education Act (PDEA, HR 4077), you'd still have to pay for it. The PDEA would create the first criminal copyright penalties for people who aren't engaged in willful criminal conduct. Under the law's murky "negligence" standard, a person with 1,000 legally obtained songs could be sent to jail for three years if she fails to lock them up tight enough - and that's only for the first offense. In addition, the PDEA would force the government to push a lopsided "education" campaign that demonizes P2P while failing to mention your rights to use copyrighted material. To top it off, all of this would be funded with your tax dollars. Tell Congress to reject the PDEA and explore solutions that pay artists rather than punish people.

wow.... no lives? or a blessing? depending on your views... "EFF MAN! Defending the purity *snicker*of the digital world"

the RIAA wants $5 a song because they are miserable gits and will only give like $0.05 to the actual artists. If it was only $1 then the artists get $0.01 for each song sold. I personally believe that the artists should go "**** the RIAA" and release their music via a web ppd service. Then they would get the full wack of the money, not the lame pocket change that the RIAA gives them.

Interesting pic nads. I could remind people, that buying pirated cd's, dvds, mp3's, fake clothing, fake designer goods, drugs, stolen goods, infact funds terrorist groups like AL-Qaieda, btw.

Lee said:
Interesting pic nads. I could remind people, that buying pirated cd's, dvds, mp3's, fake clothing, fake designer goods, drugs, stolen goods, infact funds terrorist groups like AL-Qaieda, btw.

Oh yeah...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back