[Review] Windows Desktop Search

Thank you for the head's up.

Any comparison on this product versus Vista features Kunal?

Any comparison on this product versus Vista features Kunal?
Was at work for most of the day...haven't had a chance to try it out yet to make a comparison. :)

From what I understand, they now share the same indexing engine, but the frontend/UI is different. In Vista, it's much better integrated with the system...search boxes everywhere. In XP, it'll still feel like an add-on app (but a very good one, mind you).

x64 version... Mmmm .. must install..once i get home

You know...I'm actually thinking of reverting one of my machines (not sure which one yet) back to XP, so I might start using this again. It's nice staying on the bleeding edge with Vista and all, but with coursework starting again next month, it's going to get a little crazy wiping out and rebuilding three machines everytime there's a new build. :D

WDS 3.0 Final is out now :)

Download WDS XP x86 HERE
Download WDS XP x64 HERE
Download WDS Server 2003 x86HERE
Download WDS Server 2003 x64 HERE

Thank you Derek. Downloading now.

Tried Windows Desktop Search and found it lacking in a few ways compared to Copernic Desktop Search. Unfortunately, it only indexes Outlook/Outlook Express -- unless user installs a plugin. (For instance, if you use Eudora or Thunderbird, you need a plugin; however, that plugin only works with versions 2.5 and 2.6 of WDS.) I tried to install the Eudora/Mozilla/Thunderbird plugin and it said I needed to install WDS to install the plugin -- but WDS was already installed! Copernic, on the other hand, supports Eudora and Thunderbird as well as Outlook or Outlook Express without the need to install any plugins. I also found the "refine search" of WDS somewhat lacking compared to Copernic. If you go to the screenshots page of Copernic then click on the icons to the right of the main picture you will see how much you can refine search in Copernic. I could not find this many refinements in WDS but maybe they are there. For now I am gonna have to give WDS a 2nd place finish to Copernic. Maybe if WDS gets plugins working and some better refinements to how/when/where you can search I will change my mind.

Last edited:
Tried Windows Desktop Search and found it lacking in a few ways compared to Copernic Desktop Search.

Agree with Zombie. One thing that WDS seems to lack is the ability (and this seems true of some other search type utitities I've tried, as well) is the ability of found results to HIGHLIGHT the found words in the Preview Screen (and take you right to them). Yes, you can manually "find" the words AGAIN, once you get a preview up (info found in the HELP says to click on FIND and then type the words)....but wait...you've already done THAT to get you there...so that's a redundant effort...but doing those two additional steps will FINALLY take you to the words themselves that you might be seeking. whew.

In contrast, with Copernic Desktop Search, if I want to find the words "Joe's Garden" somewhere on my desktop (and my Eudora email) I just type those words once, and the preview screen shows each instance of those words, highlighting the words on the preview screen.

I was hoping WDS would be as good or better than my much used Copernic, but lacking finding the searched for words and phrases instantly, I find this search tool less useful than Copernic.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back