[Review] Windows Desktop Search

NetRyder

Tech Junkie
As promised, here's the new review. Hope you find it useful! :)

wds_preview.jpg

Download: Windows Desktop Search Review (PDF; 1.64MB)

Read it from your neowin post. You should write for a magazine or something :D

Installed it myself recently and think it works quite well. I know where all my files are located, but this actually makes it quicker for me to pull them all up onto one easy to use menu.

KUNAL, that is one excellant piece!

is there a way to enable searches through browser history?

I know it was a security issue with google, but I like it on my box

perris said:
KUNAL, that is one excellant piece!

is there a way to enable searches through browser history?

I know it was a security issue with google, but I like it on my box
Thanks perris. :)
I don't think it's possible yet, or if it's even going to be a feature in some later version. I do know that they have more features planned though.

what if we put the temp files on a separate partition, and directed the search to the partition?

I haven't partitioned my box, but I will if that will work

ps...I sent you a pm

perris said:
what if we put the temp files on a separate partition, and directed the search to the partition?

I haven't partitioned my box, but I will if that will work
Oh, you can index the cache (Temporary Internet Files) folder even without partitioning, but I'm not sure if that indexes the history as well. Does it? I haven't used IE for a while, so I don't really know.

ps...I sent you a pm
Yeah, just saw it. I'm considering it. ;)

this is weird

on option, desltop search screen, it's grayed out and says the search ddidn't install properly, reinstall

however, it's indexing and searching...the only thing that doesn't work is this options screen

any ideas?

a reinstall did nothing

Last edited:
also, I think since I have google in my toolbar, I'm gonna give msn a play and let it be the default search engine

this way I'll have two engines at my disposal, and I give msn a play for payback of this product;

Thanks falcon. :)
I actually need to update it now to reflect the integration updates in this latest build. Not sure if I'll get a chance to do that for another couple of weeks though.

NR, does the new build/release still have the MSN branding? I thought Microsoft was moving away from that.

madmatt said:
NR, does the new build/release still have the MSN branding? I thought Microsoft was moving away from that.
It doesn't. The product was initially called MSN Desktop Search and it included the MSN branding, but it was later renamed to Windows Desktop Search and the butterfly went away. :D

Good, thank you. I am going to give it a try.

madmatt: It's one of those things you can't live without once you start using.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back