[Review] of my new Zboard with battlefield 2 keyset.

As the title says above i just bought the zboard and the battlefield 2 keyset.
http://www.zboard.com/us/
Zboard.com

Here are the newegg links for them while i bought them from frys and had a rebate for the keyset. After rebates everything will have cost me 40 bucks At Frys.
Keyset battlefield 2
Zboard

The way it is set up is you have to buy the zboard which i got for 39.99 at Frys electronics on sale. then if you want the special keysets you have to buy them separately they are around 20 bucks. While i had a rebate from the manufacturer for 20 bucks. Here are the other keysets you could have gotten for variouse games. different game keysets

Ok first impressions:
When you first open the box you see the default zboard layout.

6hpd78.jpg

This in itself looks like it would be helpful in first person shooters. As you dig into the box more you find the default standard keyboard keyset snap in. For those of you who would be using this as a primary keyboard as well.

6hpxqc.jpg

Ok opening the Battlefield 2 keyset. All that this is is a snap in keyset specially made for battlefield 2. (See Below for a more detailed view)

6hpy61.jpg

All the parts have a very solid feel especially in the fact that they are snap-in. Once you start using it you cant even tell that it is a snap in. The hard lock on the right doesn’t allow movement of the keyset in the slightest.

The keyboard comes with its own software that is actually kind of neat. It installed very easy although what came with it only supports Xp apparently. Not a problem for me but you 2000 users might need to find a patch. As soon as it installed it updates the keysets on the net. Something it didn’t need to do for me since it came with the drivers for the battlefield 2 with it but if i decided to spend 20 bucks for a future games keyset maybe that could come in handy. One of the coolest things about this is that you can just switch out the keysets live and it auto detects. This is what would make buying additional keysets for really good games neat.

Below is a close up of the keys so you can view the commands I cut the end off the keyboard but you can view the entire image of it Here

6hq8mc.jpg

Ok on to what the game play is like with the keyboard. Other than getting used to it (8 years of playing first person shooters on a reg keyboard kinda makes distances to your fingers locked in) hehe. My biggest gripe would be that the sprint button seems a little too small and I miss it every so often but I think with some use and getting my fingers used to that problem will go away. The keyboard seems to do what it suspost to do make a easier layout for gaming. I think I will like it I just need more use with it. I defiantly would not of paid 60 bucks for all of this stuff and only got it because of the rebate. But overall im happy with it for now. I do have a 30 day grace period with Frys so if I cant get used to that damn sprint button I will take it back. But I don’t think its gona be a problem. If you love battlefield 2 as you should hehe then this makes the game a little more enjoyable.

3.5 out of 5 stars for this keyboard.

Pros:
easier controls for gaming
larger buttons
ability to use diffrent keysets while windows is running via snapins.
diffrent key profiles so you dont have to reset standard keys on it up everytime for diffrent games.
USB
has two usb low power ports built into keyboard.
solid design
great software

Cons:
small sprint button
40-60 dollars for a keyboard
not wireless
no backlight

Last edited:
One thing that i forgot to add as a gripe is the fact thaqt the wrist gaurd isnt solid attached to the keyboard. I feel if i dropped it the little plug in latches would snap right off. This isnt annoying right now but if i break it id be piss*d

no input. hehe i guess no one finds this keybaord that intresting hehe.

Always been tempted by one of these, but I have an MS wireless and that is just far more practical for me.

Cool how it supports lots of different games, including Doom3 and World of Warcraft.

i have the same problem i love my wireless lol. I just plug this into the front usb and stick it on the table when im not using it for a game. hehe thanks for the response i hate it when i type up a long psot and no one says anything lol.

Good review!

I just can't use the keyboard/mouse with games. I always catch flak for saying this in a forum, but IMHO, the best setup is a gamepad/mouse combo. And I don't mean like hold it as if you were playing on the Xbox. I hold the gamepad in my left hand, thumb on the directional pad, index finger on the trigger. My right hand controls the mouse which is used for aiming.

I have it set up so that I can jump, sprint, shoot, (move), crouch, prone, cycle weapons, enter/exit vehicle, and alt fire/zoom without touching the keyboard. The 5 botton mouse really helps :)

I haven't use the keyboard to play a game since probably Quake2.

weird never heard of that hybrid set up hehe. But if it works then use it hehe.

Nice review, stick your rating of it if you could as well as a list of pro's/con's so anyone else interested can see a simple view of the good/the bad and the ugly ;)

I have been really tempted by these boards for a while, but I got the Saitek board instead (coz of the blue lights :cool: )

Keep up the good work m8.

It's a nice idea, but not practical for me. Only problem is if you change the key mapping.

3.5 out of 5 stars for this keyboard.

Pros:
easier controls for gaming
larger buttons
ability to use diffrent keysets while windows is running via snapins.
diffrent key profiles so you dont have to reset standard keys on it up everytime for diffrent games.
USB
has two usb low power ports built into keyboard.
solid design
great software

Cons:
small sprint button
40-60 dollars for a keyboard
not wireless
no backlight

DONE ;) thanks for the response i will write more reviews in the future. I just hate it when i do and no one says anything lol makes it seem you wasted your time.

VenomXt said:
DONE ;) thanks for the response i will write more reviews in the future. I just hate it when i do and no one says anything lol makes it seem you wasted your time.

It's never stopped me from posting before :laugh:

Well think of it this way... People could say nothing either because they aren't interested, or because they felt you were thorough enough that there wasn't much to add ;) It doesn't necessarily mean that no one got something from it :D

I could probably use a new keyboard at home (mine was about in about 1998, or 1999), and though it works for the most part, it has gotten badly dirty, and some parts of it have failed. More the mouse pad (though I have a seperate mouse now) and the lights that tell one if caps lock is engaged and what not, then the keys themself.

Yet, I haven't decided what to go with, and as it's working, there are other things I need to do first...

Electronic Punk said:
a user review forum is under consideration :)

I thought it had more support than the Hard Talk section :nervous:

What gives big man :devious:

i think i have made up my mind to return this. not that its a bad product just im so used to a standar keyboard and re teaching my fingers and paying 40 for this just insnt my cup o tea. hehe

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back