Restricting what a user can do...

P

phatphunky

I'm hoping someone can help me... I'm using the computer as Administrator and I've setup an account called Kids, for the kids, but I want to make sure they can't even so much as change the desktop background, only execute the programs I have in their programs folder, but I can't seem to do this... any suggestions?

pHat & pHunky

you'd have to set them as limited users...then you can use secpol.msc and gpedit.msc to change user policies and the like...just look through the options and such...it's a pain to set up sometimes, but it can be done..as for blocking changing the background not sure if ya cna do that natively in windows :p

You can do both of the things you listed using the group policy apps that were previously mentioned. Just remember that "User" settings override "Machine" settings when you are doing this. Basically, you can limit access to the display control panel applet (you can even enforce what desktop and screensaver you want them to use) and you can select what apps they can run. I would recommend browsing through all the options first, and then setting aside a test machine to enforce these on. You can do this by making a test OU in your AD and then assigning the test box to it and make sure that the new policy is bound to the new OU, and that just to make sure that only your policy is being enforced, you might want to block any policy inheritence that currently exists.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back