Restricted from Internet Options

E

ECO

When I try to open the Internet Options from Internet Explorer, I get the message:

"This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator."

This is funny because I'm the administrator and the only person who uses my computer. I've read posts about people getting this message when doing something in Outlook, but that's not the case here. How do you take the restriction away?

ECO: I build the IEAK packages where I work. If I disable an option during the build it disables it for everyone... even the administrator. If this is the case and the problem is an IEAK package that you isntalled, you can probably find the registry entry to reenable whatever it is that you have disabled. You could always just recreate the IEAK package as well.

Yes I do the same thing for my company but the error message you get is different than what he is describing. Is this a home PC and was IE upgraded? If so, how?

Well, that could be a locked restriction in Active Directory as well. It would generate that error. Maybe you have a GPO set in AD or possibly on the local PC. Run gpedit.msc on the local PC to find out.

'restriction' msg in 'internet options'

Originally posted by Un4gIvEn1
Well, that could be a locked restriction in Active Directory as well. It would generate that error. Maybe you have a GPO set in AD or possibly on the local PC. Run gpedit.msc on the local PC to find out.

same problem for me. i went into *Local Security Policy* console under Administrative Tools and everything seemed fine -- all the restrictions were 'not defined' or not active. still get message mentioned by another member when i go to Internet Options in IE saying that 'the option has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on the computer.' ideas on where else to check? can't image it is related, but this happened after or when I used Drive Image to clone my HD.

I've never heard of this error, but my initial thoughts on how to get back into Internet options would be to either try a system restore back to when it was working, (assuming it was working at some point), or to create a new administrator profile and log into that and see if you can get in. I'm assuming you're on XP. I'll see if I can find out anything else on this error.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back