Restoring Shell32.dll without a repair install

P

PlagueWielder

Hey

Ive had to do a repair install of windows xp 3 times in the last 2 days becuase Im trying something with shell32.dll.

I cannot get into windows. I have a backup of the file called shell32.dll.backup in the System32 folder but I cannot access it.

Is there anyway that I can replace the file with my backup one? I think its possible with the recovery thing on the windows xp cd.

Thanks.

make a backup of the file, then if it all goes pear shaped use the Recovery Console

Installation Info here

When you boot up there will be an option to boot to the recovery console, you can then copy the backedup shell32.dll into the dllcache (if there is a copy there) and also into the system32 folder as well, that should fix things

I dont think I need to install it since its on the windows xp cd and I can boot into it from there.

Also, I deleted all the shell32.dll's from the computer (SP1 makes backups of them) except from the one in system32 cause you cant replace it without deleting the others.

What I need to know is how to use the recovery console to replace the files. I went into it once and it had a bunch of commands and I dont know which one to choose and what to do.

Thanks

Ok, I did a little research and found the commands that I need to use but I dont know how.

I think this is what I need to do:

1. Use the delete command to delete shell32.dll
2. Use the rename command to rename shell32.dll.backup to shell32.dll.

Can someone please explain how to use these 2 commands?

Thanks

When booting to the recovery console you will be presented with

C:\WINDOWS>

type the following commands and press ENTER after each line

cd system32

del shell32.dll

ren shell32.dll.backup shell32.dll

exit

del - command to delete a file
ren or rename - commands to rename the files

ren works as "ren filename new_filename"

Thanks you all. Hopefully I wont have to do this again, 3 times in 2 days seems to be enough :p .

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back