Restore files from recycle bin from dos prompt

brocher

OSNN Senior Addict
My friend has deleted files from her pc but has not deleted them from her recycle bin. I was wondering if there was a dos command to "restore files" from her recycle bin to there original folder using the dos prompt? Thanks in advance for any help. Her PC won't boot because of the files she deleted.

Shamus MacNoob

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
Is her file system NTFS? or FAT32 ? If it is fat 32 then boot from floppy like win98 and find the files using the DIR command then just move them with the COPY command if it is NTFS your going to need something like NTFS dos pro to be able to write to the hard drive or use a windows xp boot disk and repair the install , you could try command console depends on what files she is missing , can you be more specific with the file names?

rushm001

In the beginning......
Political User
The repair installation idea sounds likely to be the best bet to give a try.

brocher

OSNN Senior Addict
IT's XP pro, NTFS. I know i'm going to have to do a repair with the CD but thought i would ask the question to make it easier. I believe she deleted a the folder "C:unzipped" but cannot understand why this has given her problems as i don't even have this folder on my comp. I'll just do a repair with the cd. Thanks all.

j79zlr

Glaanies script monkey
Political User
It actually seems more probable that she deleted one of the necessary boot files, which you can repair with the fixboot command from the recovery console.

Shamus MacNoob

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
That or fix mbr but we need the exact error message to be able to help

j79zlr

Glaanies script monkey
Political User
You can't erase the master boot record from within windows, atleast not by deleting files.

Shamus MacNoob

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
Could be corupt we have no idea really what needs to be done and seems the poster never came back to give us the details.

brocher

OSNN Senior Addict
HA HA! i have tried the fix boot and fix mbr and still didn't work. So what i did was installed xp to her second HDD and now it boots up with the original installation. I have been busy at work and thus the long time to reply.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey ep!

All good with me, applying for microsoft mvp right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by comming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier, mine is perriscalderon at gmail
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pancake