Restore Exchange Server 2003 via NTBackup Successful but emails not restored

Xelement

OSNN Newbie
Hi,

I have this strange problem that has taken me days to troubleshoot but still can’t figure this out. Following the instructions on this site: http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Exchange-2003-Backup-Restore-NTBACKUP.html

I use Windows SBS 2003 Standard Edition with Exchange 2003 included as part of the package. I used NT Backup to backup the Exchange. When I restore it (using NT Backup), everything went smooth and the message on NTBackup said “Successful” and so did the message in Event Viewer. But, the reality was when I checked (via MS Outlook 2003), the messages were not restored. The only thing that was restored was the tasks in the “Public Folders”. Can anyone help me, please….? Thank you so much in advance…

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi
Firstly what exactly has happened?
I take it you were backing your exchange up and then had a failure and had to recover using ntbackup or what?
Do you need to restore all mailboxes or one?
Have you tried a restart after the restore?

Hi ZeroHour,

When I backed up using ntbackup, it was all good, well the report from the backup itself and event viewer said so. Likewise, when I restored using ntbackup, everything was good too, but strangely nothing happened. When I checked the user mailbox (via MS Outlook), the emails that were deleted were not restored.

I am just wanting to restore some emails in one mailbox only. I already did .pst backups on all users mailboxes, therefore overwriting the entire mailbox wouldn't matter cause I can import the .pst files back later (for all users).

Hope this clarifies it a bit more.

Ahh one mailbox emails limits your options. What they call "Brick Level" backups usually need rights to the mailbox to properly back them up.
A test would be to backup your sever but not check exchange and do a file backup. If your backups are not a huge amount different then you know ntbackup does not have permissions to brick level backup mailboxes.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back